Have you ever had a cool coral, fish, invert or other critter hitchhike in?

Have you ever had a cool coral, fish, invert or other critter hitchhike in?

• Coral

Votes: 85 30.6%
  • Fish

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Invert

Votes: 178 64.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 18.3%
  • No Hitchhikers

Votes: 41 14.7%

• Total voters

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a large shrimp come on liverock from my lfs: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/peppermint-shrimp.667956/

It got ID'd as the sort we eat. He disappeared a few months in though. I've actually never been able to keep any sort of shrimp for more than a few months. No idea why, but perhaps it's some hitchhiker I don't know about yet. Or maybe I should stop dosing lemon butter.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a large shrimp come on liverock from my lfs: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/peppermint-shrimp.667956/

It got ID'd as the sort we eat. He disappeared a few months in though. I've actually never been able to keep any sort of shrimp for more than a few months. No idea why, but perhaps it's some hitchhiker I don't know about yet. Or maybe I should stop dosing lemon butter.
Lemons mess everything up!
I mean come on, have you ever eaten one on it’s own?! They’re so sour, no wonder shrimp don’t like it!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe I should stop dosing lemon butter
Action League Now Nicksplat GIF by NickRewind

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tempImagecr8Hjw.jpg

Post fiji live rock days, this maxi mini nem is probably it. the rock was in my tank for months and I only noticed when I rearranged the rock work. It was under the rock deep in a crevice.
Dang… and I spent the equivalent price of a RFA to end up with a green MMA.
And yet people out here are getting anemones and whatnot on LR!

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang… and I spent the equivalent price of a RFA to end up with a green MMA.
And yet people out here are getting anemones and whatnot on LR!
lol. Yeah this was live rock from a LFS. I have no idea where is came from but it was covered in coralline. I got a few pieces to seed a tank. That rock is in it's 3rd tank now and the nem never ever moves. Not sure it can

hmcsbonner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we're going to be talking about reef tank hitchhikers! They are normally thought of in a negative sense, bad critters, but they can also be very cool, and good! I thought today we could start with the "good" ones!

What's the best hitchhiker you've ever had and how did it hitchhike in? Could be coral, fish, inverts or anything you like!

image via @LgTas
20211125_195857.jpg
Literally log in to ask about this…what is this?

Attachments

• C651C06A-6858-482E-9E4A-81E90FB67895.jpeg
    C651C06A-6858-482E-9E4A-81E90FB67895.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 64

wademan27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tunicate come with a toadstool I purchased. I’m not sure what kind it is, but it’s kind of neat watching it filter feed.

CA7B28C1-04AE-446B-BB28-C6E65F466789.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina star.
It’s perhaps the only true sea star that isn’t impossible to keep, and they multiply very fast. Mixed reviews on if they are reef safe or not.
Correction it’s an Aquilonastra species.
Aquilonastra and Asterina are part of the same family however Asterina is the genus of slightly larger species than Aquilonastra is. Some species are reported to eat coral however I have yet to come across any that does so.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolest ones we've had was a blue glaucus and scutus snail. Scutus grew to about 5" and one day was never seen again.. He was so beautiful and graceful as he went through the tank never knocking anything over. Still trying to find the pics of the blue glaucus. Gorgeous creature who died when we warmed his water too much ;(
bsa
Scutus3.JPG

RobMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss proper live rock. The whole point was the critters you got, good or bad. I've had loads of inverts sneak in and even one vert (goby)

Over the years, I've had:

colonial tunicates
acro shrimp (Coralliocaris sp.)
unidentified brown goby
various orange NPS
sponges
limpets
chitons
plating coralline algae
sea apple
brittles stars
Rhodactis sp
Discosoma sp.
tube worms
porites
mysid shrimp

plus all the usual ones folks think are bad, but aren't really. e.g. fire worms, bobbit worms, palys, various soft colonial octocorals (except aiptasia - they suck). When I broke a tank down in 2015 I found a bobbit worm that was longer than the tank (the tank was 6 feet). Actually, some of the daisy polyps are really annoying hitch hikers too. I'm battling with those now in one tank right now, even though it was started with dry rock and aqua cultured frags...

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the hitchhikers I've had over the years.

edit: just remembered some more - mussels, a favia

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some cool ones over the years. This one was the craziest as it ate about 4 fish before i managed to find it. The tentacles on this guy glowed and radiated lights to attract fish. So, I found it one night watching the tank. Super cool, but super deadly to my fish.

grnbrittle.jpg

This was just a cool rose coral from Florida Live Rock. It colored up to red and green. Very pretty. coral2.jpg
deadly bristlestar?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back