Have you ever had a cool coral, fish, invert or other critter hitchhike in?

Have you ever had a cool coral, fish, invert or other critter hitchhike in?

• Coral

Votes: 85 30.6%
  • Fish

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • Invert

Votes: 178 64.0%
  • Other

Votes: 51 18.3%
  • No Hitchhikers

Votes: 41 14.7%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coolest hitchhiker I've found is a comb jelly. It came on the underside of a plate coral and would stretch out a long tentacle at night.

I've also had a couple different stylophora corals hitch hike in.

I also really like some small nassarius snails that came in from somewhere and multiply like crazy. They biggest are a little under 1cm long and most are closer to 0.5cm long. They do a great job of keeping my gravel clean.
Oh man, a comb jelly?!
How long did you manage to keep it alive for?

pnubbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a whole bunch of spirorbid worms (at least that’s what I think they are) show up all over my back wall and on some rock. I think they came in on a frag…. Also, found an Asterina Starfish show up one day and haven’t seen him since

Attachments

• E4E3DBBC-88AC-4459-AC75-1A55C22119F8.jpeg
    E4E3DBBC-88AC-4459-AC75-1A55C22119F8.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 87

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little stoma hitchhiked in as the tiniest little thing I'd ever seen, I didn't know what it was until it grew up a bit. I miss that little guy
FavoriteHitchhiker.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right!
I still have yet to find any fish let alone my dream fish (I have to find them as hitchhikers as nobody over here gets them as singular fish) of a Bryaninops species.
Oh ya, these are on my list as well. Can you imagine getting this as a hitchhiker? One can dream. LOL

MarineCrouton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m brand new to the hobby. I have a 90g display, and had ordered some live rock from a Florida company. Weeks after putting the rocks into the display, I noticed some broken snail shells appearing. I was puzzled, as all of my inhabitants were supposedly peaceful. Then I saw it. Whoa! What is THAT?! A buddy of mine helped me identify it. My hitchhiker was a Mantis Shrimp. It was the club variant, hence the broken shells. My LFS didn’t want it, so I had to find him a new home. Now my snails and hermits all have PTSD, but are recovering.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first started my tank with live rock from TBS and I had lots of invert hitch hikers including snapping shrimp, long spine urchins, barnacles, fan worms and ball anemones. I loved the urchins (there were 7 of them) but in about a year and a half, they grew so big I sold them to my LFS.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya, these are on my list as well. Can you imagine getting this as a hitchhiker? One can dream. LOL
I know right! They’re almost impossible to find in an LFS for sale as a fish that was imported on purpose. I’ve read somewhere about a few people saying they got these fish as hitchhikers on Coral, like how they manage to bypass everything unseen shocks me!
I guess they’re called sea whip gobies for a reason. Wonder if I’ve been hunting through the wrong coral and need to look at some gorges to find them?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4254.jpg

This dude showed up as a baby in mid-February. I believe it came in on some cheato as an egg. It's now about 1" long and terrorizing the chromis. I'm trying to catch it for a time out and rock re-landscaping. "Try" being the operative word.
I remember the thread you had when you discovered him!
Did you ever get a full answer? If I remember correctly we ended up agreeing on Killi fish.

Dog Whiskey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the thread you had when you discovered him!
Did you ever get a full answer? If I remember correctly we ended up agreeing on Killi fish.
yeah, I think that's what it is. Although at the moment "bullifish" might be a better description :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really for me. I did live rock and live sand, while there is good, the bad outweighed it. Four Gorilla Crabs to date and after finding the fourth on Saturday I haven't seen any noticeable traces of anymore. Hopefully they're gone

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the garden variety category: stomatellas, colonista (sp?) snails, white fan worms and brittle stars.

In the cooler category: yellow sponges, little clams (unknown species) and tiny ball anenomes

In the all time best category: two long tentacle plate corals budded and grew out on a piece of live rock

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right! They’re almost impossible to find in an LFS for sale as a fish that was imported on purpose. I’ve read somewhere about a few people saying they got these fish as hitchhikers on Coral, like how they manage to bypass everything unseen shocks me!
I guess they’re called sea whip gobies for a reason. Wonder if I’ve been hunting through the wrong coral and need to look at some gorges to find them?
LOL... I keep gorgs and have a sea whip and I still haven't had luck but you definitely need to look at those corals. They're just like trying to find the good toy in the cereal box. You have to keep buying the cereal in hopes of finding the good toy. LOL Keep buying gorgs and you might get the cool goby hitchhiker! :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL... I keep gorgs and have a sea whip and I still haven't had luck but you definitely need to look at those corals. They're just like trying to find the good toy in the cereal box. You have to keep buying the cereal in hopes of finding the good toy. LOL Keep buying gorgs and you might get the cool goby hitchhiker! :)
Fingers crossed!
I’m sure I read somewhere that there’s a species that enjoys hanging in SPS coral, hm… Definitely going to look into the Bryaninops species more :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back