Have you ever thought about switching to Freshwater?

ShrimpDemolisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why but recently I kind of got bored of my reef. It's not because of the maintenance and work. I don't mind all of those. But the thing is, I've realized I don't like corals and blue lighting that much. Every time I look at planted tanks I always prefer it to any reef tank. I started with fresh and changed to reef, but now Im thinking about switching back. Anyone who felt the same? And what was your decision? I'm kind of stuck now... :(

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am honestly on the other side, I have done more with freshwater than salt and like the new challenges that come with saltwater.... That being said I still often spend time staring at my freshwater tank as well and seem to be just as addicted to freshwater plants as I am Coral but currently desire more Saltwater tanks than fresh water tanks.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I started a mbuna tank and in 1.5 years was over it . 50 babys everywhere change filter everyother day dirty dirty fish . Took 30 adult fish and at least 50 fry to local fish store gave me 20 dollars credit . I needed that for the 300 dollar yellow tang I got from him. My tank is more about keeping fish . Coral is just for pretty in my opinion. That is a plus. Please don't let me stop you planted fresh water tanks are awsome . Try the sand water fall it looks very cool.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like reefing, try high-tech freshwater planted tanks. It’s a similar experience but costs about 1000% less.

I used to keep a 90G planned tank running the Tom Barr method and it was a lot of fun and very beautiful.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still keep my FW planted tanks and love them. As you know, FW and SW are like apples and oranges. The contrast between the two is part of the fascination for me. Maybe you could fire up a FW tank and do both for awhile. If you don't get your passion for reefing back, you'll know where your true interest lies.

You gotta do what makes you happy. If that turns out to be FW only, go for it!

GCL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently made a little FW walstad style jar for fun. I put in 3 Endlers and some shrimp

4C1BA344-A80C-4B98-9C14-7254A3D01610.jpeg

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the time. Used to do African cichlids (Tropheus and mixed) and it was a hoot. But every time I look back into it...it just doesn't get my juices flowing enough to switch back. But maybe on day.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always do a planted salt tank too. Ill never get tired of bright corals but i definitely think about starting another fresh tank from time to time

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why but recently I kind of got bored of my reef. It's not because of the maintenance and work. I don't mind all of those. But the thing is, I've realized I don't like corals and blue lighting that much. Every time I look at planted tanks I always prefer it to any reef tank. I started with fresh and changed to reef, but now Im thinking about switching back. Anyone who felt the same? And what was your decision? I'm kind of stuck now... :(

Just make a saltwater macro algae tank. They look absolutely amazing.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do both! I started with a couple of freshwater tanks way back in the day. After a 7 year hiatus, I got a 29 gallon planted tank. Then I got a reef tank. I still have my planted tank, and even got super excited once I started co2 injection, but saltwater is where my heart is now. My favorite thing about the freshwater tank is that I never have to test for anything...ever. It just works. I haven't done a test on that tank since I set it up 3.5 years ago. I sometimes wait 3-4 months before doing a water change. Another benefit is I can easily remove all of the plants when I'm bored and put in new ones without the same hassle as you'd have with removing encrusted corals from a rock.

We just got 5 julii corys added to the family of 7 harlequin rasboras, 2 reticulated siamese algae eaters, and male agasizii apisto (female perished after a couple of years).

Here's a pic from awhile back before I did some much needed trimming. The tank looks completely different now.
20200706_180808.jpg
20200706_180756.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is blasphemy! You have no business posting this kind of outrageous talk here.

Preaching Going To Hell GIF by Reconnecting Roots
Actually, fresh water is ok too. Let me know if you have any spare Kessils :)

Burning On Fire GIF by Lovecraft Country

emilyferguson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constantly! Don’t get me wrong, I love my reef and stare at it daily but I also have an empty tank sitting that is begging to be turned into a planted fresh tank. I bought the last of my “wish list” today for my reef tank and once they are out of quarantine and settled in I’ll be starting a fw!

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of us keep fresh water tanks, they are just commonly called auto top off tanks ;)

Seriously though some of the fresh water tanks are amazing. The things you can do with aquascaping really are breath taking.

You only get one life, be happy in it. If you like fresh water, go have a fantastic time doing that.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back