Have you successfully use biopellets?

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell R2R fam, im considering running biopellets on my system. Im a heavy gfo advocate simply because it works if you understand how to use it and not let your phosphates bottom out completely. Dont even need to test anymore and i know my phosphates are always in the realm of 0.03 - 0.08 with my heavy feeding. Water changes can not keep up for the nitrates so i see biopellets being my thing. Any advice??

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reed Dynamics recirculating bio pellet reactor that did a fantastic job. Tank was always clean. I had to run GFO to deal with the phosphate though. Recirculating reactor is the only way to go with pellets though. It's the only way to accurately control it.

I have since moved away from chemical to natural nutrient control using an ATS.

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef dynamics monster BPR500 reactor the biggest they made years ago. When i had full blown sps and tons of fish it made a huge difference in my corals and my nitrate/phosphates as well. I didn't need to run GFO when it was going great for a long long time. Back then years ago i was using Reef Interests NP Biopellets and those definitely reduced my PO4 in the tank. I've been fowlr for 3 years now ever since my aefw disaster and that was before FW Stop or FW Exit ever came out. I'm getting back in now and buying a new reactor since my old one is leaking and the ball valve broke. Finding one that match the old threads is impossible and I'm not in to modifying yet. Just using it now with the leak for massive GFO to bring my PO4 to normal, I'm at 2.26 now. Only question for you would be which pellets to buy?
The top three are two little fishes, tropic marin and reef interests NP which I'm not sure its the same as the old one.
Im leaning towards Tropic Marin since all their products are top notch. Let me know what you think?

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first time in almost 20 years, I have started using bio pellets. I have around 40 fish in my 300 and feed heavy, could not get NO3 below 20-25, PO4 consistently <.02 running GFO. Turned the GFO off about 8 weeks ago, bio pellets running for 12 weeks, and NO3 starting to decline now (~15). PO4 stays below .06 still, so I have been pretty happy with how it's going so far.

bklynreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first time in almost 20 years, I have started using bio pellets. I have around 40 fish in my 300 and feed heavy, could not get NO3 below 20-25, PO4 consistently <.02 running GFO. Turned the GFO off about 8 weeks ago, bio pellets running for 12 weeks, and NO3 starting to decline now (~15). PO4 stays below .06 still, so I have been pretty happy with how it's going so far.
Which pellets did you go with and curious which reactor?
I just purchased the Reef Octopus Bio Churn 150R, im on the fence as to which pellets to go with.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which pellets did you go with and curious which reactor?
I just purchased the Reef Octopus Bio Churn 150R, im on the fence as to which pellets to go with.

I use the pellets from BRS, and a DIY reactor, as I had some 4" clear PVC laying around and threw one together. Fed off my manifold at 90 GPH, or what the flow meter says anyway. I was using a 6" skimz reactor for my GFO and was going to use that, but can't get them to tumble in there off my manifold.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back