Having a few problems. Any help super appreciated.

sham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i have a tank that has been running for about a month.(first saltwater tank) I have done only 1 water change and my levels look great. My water is super cloudy and i have a lot of diatoms. I really want to have a crystal clear tank and don’t know what to do. I also have what looks like a million of copepods on my glass. Now to the real problem that’s concerning me. I have a pair of clownfish and it looks like one of the clowns tail stripe is turning grey. Also another one of the clowns has a white pimple looking thing right below his mouth. (pic attached). How can i make this water not look horrible? Also how can i get rid of this white looking pimple on my clownfish.

8D17CD4B-D650-47E0-916E-1B4C9A0AB9A3.png 3AE837D3-E62D-45D0-9C82-26F411C01C81.jpeg C216B6D4-03E7-4FCA-BA4C-EF42D08A9E47.png

OP
OP
S

sham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters and what are you setup for in terms of filtration? Do you have a protein skimmer?
I have a Aquatop 40 Gallon all in one tank. I have the stock skimmer running as well as the stock filtration. My water parameters are

0 Ammonia
8.2 PH
10 DKH
Very little nitrite. Close to 0 but not 0 exactly.
10 ppm Nitrates or less.
450 Calcium.

Haven’t tested salinity or phosphates or magnesium since i don’t have a tester.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Well sham, you do have a few problems, but I think I can help you with one or two. Your tank is one month old, you did one water change. There’s no need to test your water because you have no biological filter up and running. you have to go through that process either with help or naturally. I would highly recommend, with Bottled help.

First, I would highly recommend you keep your lights off, all lights off. Diatoms are the first thing to hit and they need a light. I have used Dino X in the past, when I first started, and it works perfectly. But it’s a slow, slow process spirit DinoX gives fair warning not to overdose, so don’t. Your tank will not be hunky-dory in two months, so don’t try to rush it. You will have your tank a long time, So give the process a long time to work.

You say your water is cloudy. Do you have in the tank power head running? Did you rinse your substraight (sand) before you put it in. Readjust powerheads so they don’t blow directly on your substrate, if you have any, and it’s too late now to rinse your sand. It’s not worth the work at this point. Just keep your sump running and constantly change whatever type of filter media you use. It will clear up in due time. As far as what you see on your fish, many reefers in here can help with that, I’m not one of them.

So relax, take your time and enjoy

OP
OP
S

sham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Well sham, you do have a few problems, but I think I can help you with one or two. Your tank is one month old, you did one water change. There’s no need to test your water because you have no biological filter up and running. you have to go through that process either with help or naturally. I would highly recommend, with Bottled help.

First, I would highly recommend you keep your lights off, all lights off. Diatoms are the first thing to hit and they need a light. I have used Dino X in the past, when I first started, and it works perfectly. But it’s a slow, slow process spirit DinoX gives fair warning not to overdose, so don’t. Your tank will not be hunky-dory in two months, so don’t try to rush it. You will have your tank a long time, So give the process a long time to work.

You say your water is cloudy. Do you have in the tank power hedge running? Is did you rinse your substraight (sand) before you put it in. Readjust powerheads so they don’t blow directly on your substrate, if you have any, and it’s too late now to rinse your sand. It’s not worth the work at this point. Just keep your sump running and constantly change whatever type of filter media you use. It will clear up in due time. As far as what you see on your fish, many refers in here can help with that, I’m not one of them.

So relax, take your time and enjoy
Hi i appreciate the response. I did use a bottled bacteria to help speed up the cycling process. I have all the filter media that came with the tank. I’ve been told by my LFS to just leave the diatoms and they should pass on there own. Also the substrate is caribsea live sand. I have to run the lights since i have a few light hungry corals. (torch and frog spawn)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back