Having a problem with the 3155

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a new 3155 and having a problem. When I turn it on, it pumps water during the start up period (as it should), however, after that the display will typically read "pump on" but nothing happens. I do have the sensor in an area where it should be filling, so the 'pump on' light being displayed makes sense.
I've checked to see if the sensor is dirty or has any bubbles on it, and while they seem fine, it doesn't seem to me like it's going to be something like that. Since the 'pump on' LED is lit and the pump isn't running, it seems like something else is going on.

I've also had a few times where a power cycle resulted in the 'low' LED being lit before it did it's start up routine. Moving the sensor up or down will typically result in it doing it's self check (and going to pump on status). A few times, during the start up, when I thought it was testing the pump, the pump didn't shut off and all lights remained lit.

I'm really hoping there's an easy answer and I don't have to bring this back to the store or RMA it.

TL;DR pump runs during start up but not during normal operation.

Edit: and just to add, I have the hose from the top off container out of the water (the water runs down the glass, no bubbles or waves) and I currently have a small check valve on it so it doesn't lose it's prime between uses.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick thing I noticed as I tried playing with it now (instead of at midnight last night).
The "pump on" LED is green...it's supposed to be yellow and playing around with moving the sensor out of water turns on a yellow 'pump on' LED.
I'm wondering if the green "level" LED is somehow in the wrong place. I haven't opened this up, so I don't know if it's possible for the LED to be in the wrong place or somehow shining through the wrong hole.
Should the 'pump on' LED ever be green or is it only possible for it to be yellow?

EDIT (Again)...I went to take a picture of it though my camera I noticed that the green LED is the level light and (and when I thought I saw the 'too low' light, it was the 'pump on' light. Turns out with it mounted on the inside side of my base, I was seeing everything at an angle through the adjacent hole. Even when I had my head stuck all the way in the cabinet to make sure I was looking straight on, I was still at a slight angle and misreading the lights.
I'm going to mark the level of my tank (sump) and the level of the ATO bucket and see how things look when I get home from work.

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on viewing angle, the colored led light can look like it's coming from any of the 3 indicator light holes. Make sure you are looking at it straight on.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nm just saw your edit. You figured this out already. I do wish Tunze would add some plastic walls to isolate the indicator lights. It would be just a simple alteration to the housing I would think.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nm just saw your edit. You figured this out already. I do wish Tunze would add some plastic walls to isolate the indicator lights. It would be just a simple alteration to the housing I would think.
Yeah, as soon as I noticed this I decided if I ever have the unit opened up, I'm going to add something. Now that I know, I can adjust for it, but mounted on the side of the cabinet, even with my head in there to look on as straight as possible I really can't tell, it was only the colors that gave it away. Pump on LED looks on, the level light didn't look lit at all. I only noticed the problem when I tried to take the picture of it.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LED's never change colors, so green always means level, pump on is yellow, and too low and too high are both red, but too high also causes an audible alarm. Keep me posted on what you find.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back