having high nutrient can turn sps to different color?

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, so I have this red table acro, it was red at first and then it started to turn green on the base. is this from having nutrient or low light?
  • Alk 7.7
  • Cal 440
  • No3- 0.25-1.00
  • Po4- 0.25
I'm running AI Hydra 52hd about 8-9 inches above the water line.

1st and 2nd is picture is about 2 week ago and the 3rd pics is current, with orange filter.

also that's my light schedule, maybe too much white?

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.png

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can, varying levels of trace elements will also affect coloration in SPS corals, especially Acropora and Monitpora.

Lighting is also a factor in coloration, so it may be a combination of both.

OP
OP
DQM5

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can, varying levels of trace elements will also affect coloration in SPS corals, especially Acropora and Monitpora.

so having high nutrient doesn't play a factor in some sps color changing?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so having high nutrient doesn't play a factor in some sps color changing?
It can, high nutrients are known to "brown out" acropora. I know personally mine exhibit stronger reds and greens when nitrates are lower.

OP
OP
DQM5

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can, high nutrients are known to "brown out" acropora. I know personally mine exhibit stronger reds and greens when nitrates are lower.
oh ok, hmm maybe my nitrates are low, I noticed some of my other sps like pc rainbow turning green at the base and now its starting to shoot off yellow.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about color on fragments. They will change as they grow into a colony. Green in red corals is probably because of light. High nutrients will shift colors to colder deeper hues, not a whole color all together persay.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through a small phase of high nutrients when I was switching from different nutrient export methods. My rose milli went from a nice pink to greenish around the base. When nutrients went down, the green disappeared and it was completely pink again

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it's likely light related. My red planet is red up top, pink and green mid way, mostly green down low. Obviously this is specific to red planet but it could be a similar situation

OP
OP
DQM5

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through a small phase of high nutrients when I was switching from different nutrient export methods. My rose milli went from a nice pink to greenish around the base. When nutrients went down, the green disappeared and it was completely pink again

so many factors, I'll do a water change this weekend and feed less.
I'd say it's likely light related. My red planet is red up top, pink and green mid way, mostly green down low. Obviously this is specific to red planet but it could be a similar situation

the tip is pinkish red and the base turning green , the red table was on direct light for a week or so.
High phosphate can lead to this. I would try and lower it.

I think it might be high phosphate, Water change and feed less. Thinking of doing wet skim on the protein skimmer instead of dry skim

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed high nutrients will lead to more greens or deep solid colors in corals. Multi tone corals will become more of one single color. This is with high light and high nutrients. Lower nutrients and high light will bring out the best natural colors, just my experience. I always expect frags to change colors as they grow, might just need time.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More contrast and brighter color with lower N and P. Dark, saturated mono colors under higher N and P. To each their own.

You can do more to change the color of corals with lights than you can with nutrients.

I also like to have low nutrients and lots of quality light.

OP
OP
DQM5

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More contrast and brighter color with lower N and P. Dark, saturated mono colors under higher N and P. To each their own.

You can do more to change the color of corals with lights than you can with nutrients.

I also like to have low nutrients and lots of quality light.
I'm gonna do a wc this weekend, my light schedule on top 4th pics. you think I should lower the whites?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of LED over acropora, so I have no idea. I doubt that it will matter much. Adding a few T5s with fuller spectrum could do some wonders - it is higher quality of light that can color acropora better.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an sc 50 and a hydra 52 hd and I can’t believe you’re not melting your acros at those settings. I’ve had acros bleach at 75% blues , 10% White , 5% red and green and 30% Violet and UV.

OP
OP
DQM5

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed your peak time is only 4 hours, maybe that’s how they survive.

Yeah only 4 hours, hahaha nice man, 2 of my sps corals are turning green, which is weird. But I’m trying to lower my phosphate and see how that will do.

OP
OP
DQM5

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my pc rainbow. It was reddish brown at first and then after a month, it turned green. Now it is shooting off a red or yellow color.

3EC10AFA-B390-402E-A0DF-CE67B748B0A5.png

FDDF7427-C19B-47A5-88F7-676BC9F06771.jpeg

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue light, iron and phosphate enhance green fluorescent pigmentation in my experience. So it is rather too much blue than too much white.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back