Hawaii ban is official.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite everything being in the works, never thought this day would come. Until we get enough Captive Bred specimens, goodbye Yellow Tangs, Kole Tangs, Convict Tangs, Lavender Tangs, Achilles, and many others.

I wonder what would be the future of Tangs for Zebrasoma and other fish.

What would be good alternatives for most people in the now indefinite absence of the Yellow Tang?

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think captive breeding programs are the reason Hawaii is going that route. Yellow tangs are a possibility through Biota and other captive breeders. You can thank the people on the Hawaiian islands that actively break the laws and illegally fish for the current ban and views on the aquarium trade there.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think captive breeding programs are the reason Hawaii is going that route. Yellow tangs are a possibility through Biota and other captive breeders. You can thank the people on the Hawaiian islands that actively break the laws and illegally fish for the current ban and views on the aquarium trade there.

Please, the ban only hurts the people who were doing so legally. The poachers will only grow in numbers, more bold, be more reckless, and cause more damage...

I do however believe captive breeders will expand, and while they've been accelerating for years, more should have seen the writing on the wall back in 2017 when the original ban was implemented. If they'd spent the last 3 years gearing towards breeding or actually doing the environmental report that was needed the ban wouldn't have been extended. Also, the loophole that's been getting used for the past 3 years wouldn't have gotten slammed shut.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, the ban only hurts the people who were doing so legally. The poachers will only grow in numbers, more bold, be more reckless, and cause more damage...

I do however believe captive breeders will expand, and while they've been accelerating for years, more should have seen the writing on the wall back in 2017 when the original ban was implemented. If they'd spent the last 3 years gearing towards breeding or actually doing the environmental report that was needed the ban wouldn't have been extended. Also, the loophole that's been getting used for the past 3 years wouldn't have gotten slammed shut.
That was my point...

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas Islands are still open and will offer many Hawaiian Fish. Truth be told Hawaii had one of the most well managed fisheries in the world. There was 0 reason to shut down collection other than crazy nuts. This is coming from someone who has an ecology degree.

While getting my degree professors presented me with Hawaii as an example of the most well managed and maintained fishery in the world.

The fundamental misunderstanding about coral reefs is that they are space limited. The greatest threats to reefs are ones that limit the amount of habitable space. In Hawaii this is primarily agricultural run off. Unfortunately the aquarium trade is a more appealing target than farmers.

Anyone who does not understand that limiting space is the greatest threat to reefs does not have a basic understanding of reef ecology. In a space limited ecosystem it is very easy to harvest animals because as soon as they are removed more space is available to the ecosystem and it gets filled quickly. Removing habitable space from a reef is like removing water from a desert.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately you have a bunch of people moving to the islands who are extreme in thought of preservation and animal rights.

Then you have a legitimate argument in the Native Hawaiians, who see it as stealing from the Aina. Who have literally just watched their land get taken decade after decade. I can understand their distaste in all of it.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Montiman Yes!!! Exactly that! Of course they dont want to go after the farmers, food is hard as it is to get on the island. You should see the protests for Monsanto and their means of growing produce.

Maybe I'll get into politics when I move back there..... haha

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back