Hawaii black sand and shrimp gobies

AWildZacR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I've been setting up a tiny nano/pico(5 gallons), mostly to provide extra space and a nice tank for coral. I am considering a shrimp/goby pair now that the the tank has cycled, but my problem lies with my substrate. I chose to mix it up and go with caribsea live Hawaiin black substrate. It is very coarse, almost like gravel. I have read that the shrimp/goby pairs generally like finer sand, or a mix. Do you think that they could thrive in this? As always all suggestions are appreciated!

OP
OP
AWildZacR

AWildZacR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1520809156869.jpg
1520809194413.jpg

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I dont know much about them but if all sources are telling you that they need fine sand then I would assume that to be accurate.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems a bit large and coarse for a shrimp goby pair. I use the special grade sand (1-2mm grain) and would not go coarser than that. I have used crushed coral, but not with a shrimp goby pair. I love this sand as it is good to not get blown, but can still be used with the sand sifters and the goby shrimp pairs.

Although, just a thought. I have always had the little guys (tangora, pink bar and candy canes). If you get a watchman and a Caribbean pistol shrimp, you may be okay as they are larger and could maybe deal with that grain.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back