OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on Oahu several times a year for work. (unfortunately; I would rather my work was on the Big Island :D )

I stop by Hanauma every time I go; it's the most daytrip friendly snorkeling place I know of if you're in Honolulu proper.

First, OP, recommend if you're interested go to the Barnes and Noble this evening (it's now 5:30 Hawaii time) at Ala Moana and get this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Ha...e=UTF8&qid=1538533625&sr=1-1&keywords=hanauma

It's pretty good.

Second, there's a good amount of fish live inside the reef at Hanauma. At the edges (where 95% of tourists do not go) of the inner reef area are two back reef areas: Key Hole Lagoon and the Back Reef lagoon. You'll see a few Porites lobata and lutea (encrusting and brain forms), Montipora capitata (brownish), Porites cylindrica (branching) and both Pocillopora damicornis and eydouxi (former does not look much like the ones in the hobby, and in shallower areas. Latter is big and loaded with antlers). If you're a decent swimmer you'll have no problems with them.

On the way you'll pass a large, like 6 foot diameter "mini-atoll" style coral. This is a 500 year old Porites lutea, supposedly the largest coral on Oahu.

Second, Hanauma bay has awesome coral growth. However, none of it is in the reef zone; there are too many tourists and there's not enough flow. (!!!) Go outside the reef, to the upper fore reef and there's loads, mostly of the Porites species. (the Hawaiian islands are actually quite poor in coral species, especially the inhabited southern ones. If they find one Acropora it's huge news, because they went extinct in the main islands tens of thousands of years ago).

But, DO NOT go to out to the upper fore reef unless you are a very strong swimmer. Except on perfectly calm days, it's not a pleasant swim, and ONE MANY DAYS ITS VERY DANGEROUS. Check with the lifeguards. It's always best to go early in the mornings; 7AM is best.

hbay.png

General remarks for those interested in visiting:

IMO,Waikiki and Ala Moana where all the tourists stay is boring. Just big hotels, bars, and generally chain restaurants. (the mall has the same stores you see in every mall in the US mainland. Though, I am told that women who are looking for winter weight suits should hit up the ala Moana Ann Taylor: they are forced to receive the same stuff every store gets, and so are always discounting winter suits) The good restaurants are all outside Waikiki, unless you're talking about four star places. If you stay in Waikiki, don't get anything at any of the stores; walk up to the Wal-Mart at Ala Moana and save tons of money.

Recommend one rent a car and stay at an AirBnB, either in Hawaii Kai, Kailua or Kaneohe, or the North Shore - car rental rates at the airport are VERY competitive. You will save a lot of money on hotels that way, you won't be trapped in tourist land, and you'll have the ability to go drive where you like. (Costo members will save a lot of money filling up at any of the Costcos; one of them is conveniently at Hawaii Kai). Hawaii Kai is a rich suburb; it's my favorite part of the island. Kaneohe and Kailua are almost as good, but a Kanoehe much less ritzy area. The North Shore is a surfer place, and relative isolated - small mom and pop places all around. (but might be my favorite place to drive around and hang out). Unfortunately, I would avoid Haleiwa during the afternoons because of traffic.

Those who like guide books would find "Oahu Revealed" to be well worth their money.
https://www.amazon.com/Oahu-Reveale...&qid=1538534640&sr=1-1&keywords=oahu+revealed

Finally, for places to scuba or snorkel. As someone mentioned, don't bother with the Waikiki SCUBA companies. Go with the dive operators on the west coast (check Oahu revealed). Hanauma is a great place to snorkel - and the easiest again to do a 2 hour-half day trip - but again to get to the good coral areas can be hard. Kailua/Lanikai beach is an awesome place to rent a kayak and snorkel from your Kayak - they'll give you a few areas to kayak around, and if you follow them you'll find plenty of patch reefs to explore. Kaneohe bay is also a great place to kayak/snorkel, but fewer rental options are available. Finally I find the North shore generally bad for SCUBA/snorkeling - little coral life at Sharks Cove (I've dove and SCUBA'd there several times).

Finally, this book (now out of print) is the best book on Hanauma Bay, bar none - much better than the other one I recommended which is in print. They have a copy at the information stand at the bay.
https://www.amazon.com/Hanauma-Bay-Hawaiis-Popular-Preserve/dp/1566475317

YMMV

Thank you for the information! Very helpful

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spotted these guy hanging out off a bridge. Again not the greatest pictures because I had to zoom way in with my phone. There was a school of yellow tang hanging out and a few Moorish idols.

0835783D-2EA6-4E9F-95CE-9CE469989E9F.jpeg

B7580268-FD7A-4734-A28D-D88FF4420D09.jpeg

977E0862-783B-4912-A558-07D815664F5E.jpeg

5B7FF138-48FB-493E-A986-B84A26EBCCEA.jpeg

025FC30C-8038-46A8-9D08-D8EE0CBA9AF7.jpeg

Last edited:

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That hotel is 44 minutes away and I’m sure for what they would charge me I could get on a snorkel tour which I would much rather do. As far as the aquarium I don’t think it would be worth it because I’ve been through Shedd’s many times.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
Where are you? Waikiki aquarium is in waikiki. And it is actually really awesome, much closer to hobbyist tanks than the huge displays we are used to at public aquariums.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you? Waikiki aquarium is in waikiki. And it is actually really awesome, much closer to hobbyist tanks than the huge displays we are used to at public aquariums.

I was talking about Disney

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were there summer of last year and did snorkeling in Hanauma Bay and didn't see any Yellow Tangs at all. But there were tons of Yellow Tangs in Big Island. If you wish to see (if you're fortunate) Achilles Tangs, try the very left corner where the huge porities is located.

Oh btw ... try out the famous Shrimp food truck while in North Shore.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t get any pictures at the bay. Cheap crappie water proof phone case fogged up. Pretty choppy as well. Saw some fish and a few coral. Spent a grand total of $36.50

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Going to go snorkeling Wednesday at this place.

9C667BF0-3E06-416E-AE4B-E54026C93161.jpeg

35E3AED6-8DDB-4906-A869-E34B07BDA5AF.jpeg

What a scenery! Can only imagine the aquatic life in that area. Nice to see recovery from the recent disaster they endured

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jen_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your staying in Waikiki go snorkeling out there as well! A lot of reef and saw crazy amount of fish! Huge tangs, puffers, and triggers!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back