Hawaii oahu

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a nature preserve. You are on your own...
On your own with a few thousand other tourists!
As mentioned there is little coral to see, mainly because of the unbelievable amount of people that can’t really swim or snorkel, and must constantly stand on the, now dead, corals to ‘rest’.
I was there about 8 yrs ago, and it’s definitely something every visitor will want to see...once.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On your own with a few thousand other tourists!
As mentioned there is little coral to see, mainly because of the unbelievable amount of people that can’t really swim or snorkel, and must constantly stand on the, now dead, corals to ‘rest’.
I was there about 8 yrs ago, and it’s definitely something every visitor will want to see...once.

I mean on your own as in there’s no guide. if you know of a place to go then give me the name of it. Otherwise if you don’t like it don’t look at the pictures.

Sabbath22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any place you would recommend to go?
Like Alex said sharks cove. If I remember it,s by a place called Pupukea . You need to wear shoes to get to the water as its pretty rocky. Once your in the water its okay.More different kind of fish than Hanuma bay. Watch out for urchins they,re all over.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Alex said sharks cove. If I remember it,s by a place called Pupukea . You need to wear shoes to get to the water as its pretty rocky. Once your in the water its okay.More different kind of fish than Hanuma bay. Watch out for urchins they,re all over.

From what I can tell that place is really far away 44 minutes. I would love to go there but I don’t see going that far happening. I’m on a limited budget and have no car. Going to keep looking to see if I can find some kind a local spot. South shore I can get to.

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange. I saw this fish. Looks like a puffer. Picture isn’t very good. Maybe someone knows what it is.

3389C42C-7C9A-4397-807D-79F00F76BE8F.jpeg

74BC4641-BF06-4DD8-8802-7CC59A23876D.jpeg

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not saying not to go, if you’re in Hawaii, do everything that you have time and $ for...but IME there were more fish to see by the jetties in front of the hotels on Waikiki Beach.
For fish and coral lovers, like us, you may be a little disappointed at the bay.
What I did find on my trips there was that most ‘tours and activities’ were cheaper to book there as compared to prebooking online. There were guys on every street corner offering package deals for anything and everything!

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes there are tours every where that are $150 or more. This trip was given to me along with a condo for free. I just bought a house so I can’t really afford this trip but I’m not going to turn down a free trip. I don’t have $150+ to spend on snorkeling or diving. I wish I did but I don’t. My wife and son don’t snorkel or dive so I am on my own for this. I am stuck in high end tourist trap area which would not be my choice but like I said it was free. My father in law wasn’t able to go so he gave the trip to my family.

Last edited:

reefes pieces

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waikiki Aquarium is small but IMO worth going to. Unfortunately, having no car will limit you to all the tourist locations on the south east side. Used to live there too and try to go once a year with the Mrs. If there's a shuttle to Disney Aulani then you might want to check that place out. I believe non-hotel residents can still pay to snorkel their artificial reef.
Any place you would recommend to go?

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with renting a car here is I would have to pay to park it at $40 a day besides the cost of the car.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some OG poke while you are there! Ono Seafood is the true original and it is amazing. Also Rainbow Drive-in is a must. Now I’m craving poke and a moco loco breakfast....;Drool

OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to do is drive around the whole island and visit Hanauma Bay. Also grab some pineapple juice from Dole farm.

More or less that is the plan. We are doing a 1 day car rental on Thursday. Even if I don’t see much which I didn’t expect to at Hanauma it’s a start and better then nothing. Plus I don’t mind spending money at a preserve.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef-junky

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waikiki Aquarium is small but IMO worth going to. Unfortunately, having no car will limit you to all the tourist locations on the south east side. Used to live there too and try to go once a year with the Mrs. If there's a shuttle to Disney Aulani then you might want to check that place out. I believe non-hotel residents can still pay to snorkel their artificial reef.

That hotel is 44 minutes away and I’m sure for what they would charge me I could get on a snorkel tour which I would much rather do. As far as the aquarium I don’t think it would be worth it because I’ve been through Shedd’s many times.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Larz_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about snorkeling on Oahu as I haven’t spent much time on that island but, Pearl Harbor is a must see.
We flew over from Kauai for 1 day just to see it.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you have the car go to Leonard's bakery if you have time. It's a must stop every time we go

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on Oahu several times a year for work. (unfortunately; I would rather my work was on the Big Island :D )

I stop by Hanauma every time I go; it's the most daytrip friendly snorkeling place I know of if you're in Honolulu proper.

First, OP, recommend if you're interested go to the Barnes and Noble this evening (it's now 5:30 Hawaii time) at Ala Moana and get this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Ha...e=UTF8&qid=1538533625&sr=1-1&keywords=hanauma

It's pretty good.

Second, a good amount of fish live inside the reef at Hanauma. At the edges (where 95% of tourists do not go) of the inner reef area are two back reef areas: Key Hole Lagoon and the Back Channel lagoon. You'll see some corals there: a few Porites lobata and lutea (encrusting and massive/brain forms), Montipora capitata (brownish), Porites cylindrica (branching) and both Pocillopora damicornis and eydouxi (former does not look much like the ones in the hobby, and in shallower areas. Latter is big and loaded with antlers). If you're a decent swimmer you'll have no problems with them.

On the way you'll pass a large, like 6 foot diameter "mini-atoll" style coral. This is a 500 year old Porites lutea, supposedly the largest coral on Oahu.

Second, Hanauma bay has awesome coral growth. However, none of it is in the reef zone; there are too many tourists and there's not enough flow. (!!!) Go outside the reef, to the upper fore reef and there's loads, mostly of the Porites species. (the Hawaiian islands are actually quite poor in coral species, especially the inhabited southern ones. If they find one Acropora it's huge news, because they went extinct in the main islands tens of thousands of years ago).

But, DO NOT go to out to the upper fore reef unless you are a very strong swimmer. Except on perfectly calm days, it's not a pleasant swim, and ON MANY DAYS ITS VERY DANGEROUS. Check with the lifeguards. It's always best to go early in the mornings; 7AM is best.

hbay.png

General remarks for those interested in visiting:

IMO,Waikiki and Ala Moana where all the tourists stay is boring. Just big hotels, bars, and generally chain restaurants. (the mall has the same stores you see in every mall in the US mainland. Though, I am told that women who are looking for winter weight suits should hit up the ala Moana Ann Taylor: they are forced to receive the same stuff every store gets, and so are always discounting winter suits) The good restaurants are all outside Waikiki, unless you're talking about four star places. If you stay in Waikiki, don't get anything at any of the local ABC stores or other cheap souvenir/sundry good stores; walk up to the Wal-Mart at Ala Moana and save tons of money. For Hawaiian clothes, I would also recommend Costco (if you don't go high end; i.e. $100+ brand name Hawaiian shirts).

Recommend one rent a car and stay at an AirBnB, either in Hawaii Kai, Kailua or Kaneohe, or the North Shore - car rental rates at the airport are VERY competitive. You will save a lot of money on hotels that way, you won't be trapped in tourist land, and you'll have the ability to go drive where you like. (Costo members will save a lot of money filling up at any of the Costcos; one of them is conveniently at Hawaii Kai). Hawaii Kai is a rich suburb; it's my favorite part of the island. Kaneohe and Kailua are almost as good, but a Kanoehe much less ritzy area. The North Shore is a surfer place, and relative isolated - small mom and pop places all around. (but might be my favorite place to drive around and hang out). Unfortunately, I would avoid Haleiwa during the afternoons because of traffic.

Those who like guide books would find "Oahu Revealed" to be well worth their money.
https://www.amazon.com/Oahu-Reveale...&qid=1538534640&sr=1-1&keywords=oahu+revealed

Finally, for places to scuba or snorkel. As someone mentioned, don't bother with the Waikiki SCUBA companies. Go with the dive operators on the west coast (check Oahu revealed). Hanauma is a great place to snorkel - and the easiest again to do a 2 hour-half day trip - but again to get to the good coral areas can be hard. Kailua/Lanikai beach is an awesome place to rent a kayak and snorkel from your Kayak - they'll give you a few areas to kayak around, and if you follow them you'll find plenty of patch reefs to explore. Kaneohe bay is also a great place to kayak/snorkel, but fewer rental options are available. Finally I find the North shore generally bad for SCUBA/snorkeling - little coral life at Sharks Cove (I've dove and SCUBA'd there several times).

Finally, this book (now out of print) is the best book on Hanauma Bay, bar none - much better than the other one I recommended which is in print. They have a copy at the information stand at the bay.
https://www.amazon.com/Hanauma-Bay-Hawaiis-Popular-Preserve/dp/1566475317

YMMV

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back