Hawaii Supreme Court Ruling Halts Aquarium Fishery

How do you feel about this news? (Hawaii Supreme Court Ruling Halts Aquarium Fishery)

• Good

Votes: 175 21.1%
  • Bad

Votes: 394 47.5%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 18 2.2%
  • Don't Understand It Enough

Votes: 243 29.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just read this news and thought you all would like to know!

Underwater-Coral-Marine-Fauna-Hawaii-Fish-91664 (1).jpg

The most iconic aquarium fish from Hawaiis’ aquarium fishery, Yellow Tangs graze on a Hawaiian Coral Reef. For the moment, a Hawaii Supreme Court ruling means that not a single one will be harvested for the aquarium trade.

"On the evening of Wednesday, September 6th, Hawaii’s State Supreme Court issued a ruling that effectively halts Hawaii’s commercial aquarium fisheries for the foreseeable future."

Read more here: https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2017/09/07/hawaii-supreme-court-ruling-halts-aquarium-fishery/

Last edited:

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't hate me for saying this, but I think this is great news for a variety of reasons, of which I've covered multiple times on Reefbuilders and Facebook over the years so don't really care to repeat myself. If it's possible, I expect an appeal will follow soon though so we shall see what happens in the long run.
I'll add that I really hope that this spurs efforts in captive breeding programs for Yellow Tangs and others.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't hate me for saying this, but I think this is great news for a variety of reasons, of which I've covered multiple times on Reefbuilders and Facebook over the years so don't really care to repeat myself. If it's possible, I expect an appeal will follow soon though so we shall see what happens in the long run.

No hate at all. You are entitled to your opinion my friend. No matter what though this is big news for the industry.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this puts a huge damper on some aspects of the aquarium trade but it may also lead to advancing aquaculture efforts for species in the region. I think the big push for captive-bred yellow tangs probably stemmed from the threat of closing this fishery. Now that's its actually happened, I expect we as hobbyists will start to see a whole lot more aquacultured species from this region as a result of this ruling and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I do feel bad for the fishermen and collection wholesalers, they're the ones whose lives will really be turned upside down because of this. Local fishermen around me have been hit with new regulations and rules concerning our local fish year after year around here and some of them have had to shut down their businesses and start something else which is really hard if you've only been fishing your whole life.

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually bittersweet. Of course it's going to be difficult to adjust to initially, however this may lead to increased efforts toward captive breeding these fish. The biggest issue at this point is scale and competition with the sale of wild collected specimens. If demand remains the same, captive breeding efforts will now have a much larger clientele to cater to.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many species normally come from there other than the iconic yellow tang? This should drive the price of yellows that are left in circulation thru the roof and also boost the efforts to breed these fish in captivity. Sad day for the aquarium hobby in a way but if the fishery is not sustainable something has to happen in which I'm in favour off

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many species normally come from there other than the iconic yellow tang? This should drive the price of yellows that are left in circulation thru the roof and also boost the efforts to breed these fish in captivity. Sad day for the aquarium hobby in a way but if the fishery is not sustainable something has to happen in which I'm in favour off

Yellow eye Kole's at the very least, likely a lot more.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is live aquaria now, every size of yellow tangs are out of stock.
Out-Of-Stock or Seasonal Items
*Prices subject to change on out of stock items
SW - Yellow Tang (Hawaii) - Small
CN-74760, $ 34.99
SW - Yellow Tang (Hawaii) - Small/Medium
CN-86373, $ 36.99
SW - Yellow Tang (Hawaii) - Medium
CN-74773, $ 39.99
SW - Yellow Tang (Hawaii) - Medium/Large
CN-74799, $ 59.99
SW - Yellow Tang (Hawaii) - Large
CN-74786, $ 79.99

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a crazy thought to think about no more yellow tangs in the hobby. I don't know if that's a potential thing but if it is I think it's safe to say their value just went through the roof.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i just heard about a study the other day that stateed the collection had no effect on the population of the fish when compared to fish in any area where collection was not allowed. Cant remember where I heard about this i will have to see if i can find it again.

Curtswearing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are mainly from Hawaii. However, there are a lot of butterflies, dwarf angels, triggers and other species of tangs that are endemic to Hawaii.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the only place to gather yellow tangs from the wild? I thought they came from all over?
They are distributed from the Marshall and Wake Islands as well but I don't believe these areas are targeted for Yellow Tang collection. They may be now though.

Stlouphil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second part of the ruling is most certainly unconstitutional. The court claims all and every fishery is the same so the order applies to all of them . What about those that aquaculture fish. Grow their own. They cannot remove/ship fish from the Hawaiian Islands? Of course we now an appeal will go to the ninth circuit. They will make the wrong decision which they do 92% off the time and the Supreme Court will fix. Like 5-7 years down the road.

But then again, the Constitution is now out weighed by "feelings". Not to be political of anything.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Watch the next few minutes of this presentation to learn more about sustainable collection practices. Starting abount 10:39 for backround info but the most relevant parts start around 12:59, although it is an excellent presentation to watch overall.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back