Hawaii trip recomendations

Mr.Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm going to Maui, Oahu and Kona in the next several months with the family. I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for snorkeling spots, marine life based activities or any cool spots y'all think we should check out.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the big island there is a state park with tide pools with tons of crabs, urchins, yellow tangs, triggers, etc. You could see them all swimming just by standing next to the shore line. The water was so clear. It was amazing. I forget the name though :oops:

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite place to eat on Maui is Paia fish market. Get the ono burger.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the big island there is a state park with tide pools with tons of crabs, urchins, yellow tangs, triggers, etc. You could see them all swimming just by standing next to the shore line. The water was so clear. It was amazing. I forget the name though :oops:

Which ones? I heard Kapoho Tide Pools were amazing but the eruption last year wiped them out.

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be there during whale season. So take one of the whale trips.

I recommend snorkeling here:

Oahu: Hanauma Bay never gets old. Also while you will likely see plenty of yellow tangs in Maui, I only saw them at Turtle Bay in Oahu and I’ve been on that island 4 times.
^ a must see. Visit Hanauma Bay's website before you go so you know what your in for. No vendors down on the beach...bring snacks and water.
TR_Nov2019-1.jpg

Also here for turtles on Oahu:
TR_Nov2019-2.jpg

The submarines are really neat. There's one on Oahu and Maui. Note that the sub doesn't have lights (for good reason) so everything is dark blue...still worth it. You actually ride on a boat out into the ocean and then transfer onto the sub. It's wild.
TR_Nov2019-1-2.jpg

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
South of Kona is the "Place of Refuge", Pu'uhonua o Honaunau, That is a state park and snokeling spot. You can see yellow tangs and moorish idols from your car... sadly I got really sick when we went to the park and I didn't snorkel there. It was pretty busy being in the city.

We spent time north of Kona, went to one black sand beach which was neat but rough for snorkeling. I liked beach 69 (Waialea beach) near Puako. Not many people..sea turtles right of the beach, convict tangs in the surf.

A good book for the Big Island is Hawaii, the Big Island Revealed, wizard publications

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop by an ABC store if you can find one...... locals should be able to point you in the right direction
I worked as a manager at an ABC store in Waikiki for 8 years. They’re not hard to find... A tough tough job.

But as others recommended, Hanauma Bay is a must. As soon as you get in, you’ll see tons of fish. I’d see giant sea turtles there quite often.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked as a manager at an ABC store in Waikiki for 8 years. They’re not hard to find... A tough tough job.

I was being facetious...... I remember standing in front of an ABC store looking at another ABC store on the opposite corner..... they are EVERYWHERE!!! I just thought it was funny, but at the same time, I always knew where to grab a cold drink while walking around

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was being facetious...... I remember standing in front of an ABC store looking at another ABC store on the opposite corner..... they are EVERYWHERE!!! I just thought it was funny, but at the same time, I always knew where to grab a cold drink while walking around
The reasoning behind an ABC on every corner is because they are afraid competition will jump in and open up stores to take away from their business. But also, ABC owns a lot of the property in Waikiki. So it only makes sense for them to open their own stores. They even have some other stores under different brands in Waikiki and On the west side of the island named Hawaiian casuals and Island Marketplace.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snorkeling near the captain cook monument on the big island was great. We took a boat, they discourage ppl from walking there I think. Great snorkeling tho, worth it.

1575421773247.png

Firedawg1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back fromMaui about a month ago. Black rock was cool because it’s right by the resorts. Mala pier for reef sharks, honolua bay(not sure if I spelled it right) , turtle town down by whilea

8A797725-7C63-4B1C-B83E-6EE4DB38C18C.jpeg 0B07020F-D44B-41CA-8CF7-5BC059A6E4EC.jpeg C8747ABC-4DDD-4FC3-9DAA-4D426C2EFD00.jpeg 954AB58E-BAF8-4780-9C43-7C3A14DC0BB2.png

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captain Cook was amazing. Shallow reef then a steep deep drop off.

Shark Cove on Oahu was my favorite spot. Waves might be too big this time of year but it was amazing and the reason I got into reefing.

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oahu - Shark cove was a lot better than hanauma bay. Lots of moorish idols and Achilles tangs, which aernt at hanauma anymore. The surf may be an issue this time of year but I'm not sure. The Atlantis submarine was an eye opener how everything below 10 meters grows in blue light only. There are some tide pools on the SE side of the island we heard were awesome but haven't been. We did the Blue Hawaiian helicopter also which was amazing but super expensive.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back