Hawaii trip recomendations

Firedawg1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with Molokini Crater? As incredible as it sounds?

unfortunately I didn’t get to do it. Wildfire sprung up when I was there and we had to cancel because we couldn’t get over there but the locals said to do both tours of molokini (inside the crater itself and backside which is the open ocean side). I guess I will next time I get to vacation there

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best snorkeling is off the Kona coast, IMO.
If you need an easy spot, even with gear rental: Kahalu'u Beach Park
If you know what you're doing: Two Step (Honaunau Bay)

Photobret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stoked on coming to Hawaii, I live on Oahu and Freedive here all the time

Oahu:Hanauma Bay, go early, know it’s closed on Tuesdays and be prepared for a 10 minute video before entering the park. Depending on your skill level and waves you can go beyond the buoys and see way more fish and other marine life.

Electric Beach or Kahe Beach park: my personal favorite, about a 150 yard swim to two giant water outlets that blast warm water from the local trash burning power plant. Tons of fish swarm this area, turtles, occasional white tip reef shark (rare), rays and dolphins (go at 7am for best results)

Makua bay also called Pray For Sex - far west side of the island, good for shells and amazing backdrops. Dolphins early morning but a long drive from Waikiki (1.5 hours)

feeling adventurous? I suggest One Ocean Diving for a shark tour, just a mindblowing experience and very safe.

Maui: Molokini crater is the bomb -just go.

Big Island: 2 step Beach is awesome - watch out for Vana aka Sea Urchins
Do a manta night snorkel - you wont regret it.

As with everywhere in Hawaii, don’t leave anything of value in your car, it will get stolen. Don’t leave anything on the beach either, get a personal water proof bag or case and keep it with you.

Any questions - drop me a message.

mahalo!
Bret

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a manta night snorkel - you wont regret it.
Oh, yes! I don't know how I forgot to mention that too.
I did one on the evening of my 30th birthday - an experience of a lifetime.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lived in Kailua-Kona for 18 years. Surf can be up during the winter months, so use common sense when getting in the water. Kahalu'u is sheltered and usually OK. Two-step (Honaunau) is usually OK as well. Get there early in both spots to get a parking space as 'snow birds' are out in force. As mentioned earlier, Kapoho's tide pools were wiped out by recent lava flows. Avoid 'touristy' restaurants - food is often mediocre and over-priced. Hawaii Style restaurant in Waimea has more food than you can eat for under $10. We just bought a house in Kona, so we'll be between Atlanta and the Big Island - more later!

Back