Hayward reverse thread bulkhead

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Looking to get bulkheads for my next build, 600 gallon. Need 2" and 1" bulkheads and from my research here I like the idea of reverse thread bulkheads which appear to be from Hayward. My tank manufacturer stated I need to go with Schedule 80 bulkheads and he needs to know what size holes to cut. I would like to go with thread/thread. 1" returns on the bottom of the tank for closed loop and 2" drains on the side wall.

Are these the correct ones?
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=81673&catid=477

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=81676&catid=477

Thanks!

OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, what's giving you the warm & fuzzy about the lefthand threads?

I like the fact that if I have to change some plumbing along the line that a bulkhead is on that loosening threads to change a piece of plumbing will not loosen the bulkhead but will actually tighten it. I don't plan on having to change things but if I do I really don't want to loosen a bulkhead. Never plumbed a closed loop but I want to try to get it right the first time since I will have 4 holes on the bottom of 600 gallons.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that's true, depending on weather you are unthreading from the inside or the out side. But I totally hear you about holes in the bottom of the tank. With the current through-the-back (or sides) overflow options, I would opt for no holes in the bottom.

Closed loop is a little old skool, what's the advantage for your setup?

OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 96x48x30 open top tank. It will be a peninsula. I dont want powerheads or gyre's stuck on the glass on the 2 long sides or the 1 short side. I will have 2 MP60's on the back wall but 8ftx4ft is a lot of ground to cover for them. I understand closed loops are old school but not sure of any other choice without wires and powerheads visible everywhere.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd compare prices on other plumbing suppliers such as Grainger, supplyhouse or PVCpipesupplies. They look to be MUCH cheaper than US plastics. Also check the shipping cost of each...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back