HD's 144 1/2 Moon

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave late Wednesday evening/ Thursday morning to drink all of @saltyhogs beer before I hit my annual blues fest for a few days. I guess I can manually dose to get my levels where I want them. Do a baseline Wednesday evening and divide by 5 when I get back. :D
HOLD UP!!! BEER!!!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw, no harm. I just meant not to start dosing pumps till you get back where you can monitor.
Ya that's solid advice thank you. I would hate to be gone and a pump I never used decide to go rouge on me.

Leto987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the half circle layout!! Beautiful tank!
Hopefully you figured out your dosing schedule. Had a some issues at first myself.. took a few week to get it dialed In. I also used Tropic Marins balling ABC. I found you have to dose way to much A and B. Spoke with Lou from Tropic Marin at RAP Chicago. He says that you can use BRS 2 part with the Balling Part C. They changed the formula to match with BRS’ dosing calculator.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the half circle layout!! Beautiful tank!
Hopefully you figured out your dosing schedule. Had a some issues at first myself.. took a few week to get it dialed In. I also used Tropic Marins balling ABC. I found you have to dose way to much A and B. Spoke with Lou from Tropic Marin at RAP Chicago. He says that you can use BRS 2 part with the Balling Part C. They changed the formula to match with BRS’ dosing calculator.
Thank you for the kind words!

Thanks for the info sharing. Ya, your right, I seem to cruise through the A & B. Think I'm going to surprise myself and get a dos and shoot for 2 part. My part c is pretty stable and I can easily manually dose of use 1 of my dosers to cover it. Allot of fluctuation right now.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issue.. I just kept testing and testing....
How are the corals in your tank doing?
Not good right now. Lps is doing fine. I took a bunch of sps to a friend that has a coral shop to baby sit, gave some away, lost a couple and some are dying off. I knew it was a risk dumping a load of them in. Fighting to keep things stable, but it's starting to finally level out.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. Good luck, Jay.
Thanks Brian, I knew it would be a challenge taking all that on and I would be rolling the dice. Never really dealing the coral side of the hobby its learn, panic, learn some more, panic even more.....starting to see a trend? Lol

Its all good, similar to getting hit with a fish disease. You are forced into stepping out of your safe zone and tackling something your not familiar with or comfortable with and just doing what it takes.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brian, I knew it would be a challenge taking all that on and I would be rolling the dice. Never really dealing the coral side of the hobby its learn, panic, learn some more, panic even more.....starting to see a trend? Lol

Its all good, similar to getting hit with a fish disease. You are forced into stepping out of your safe zone and tackling something your not familiar with or comfortable with and just doing what it takes.
Right. Learning.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried SPS twice, twice. The first time they were cruising, then I messed it up letting life come first. The second time I think I just did too much too soon after the crash. I am going to try and keep focused on letting the tank mature as is for a while.

Dbasileccim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you seem to be one of the few active half circle owners on reef2reef I was wondering what you use for front algae glass cleaner. I am slowly accumulating equipment to set mine up and started thinking about maintenance. Does a normal magnetic cleaner "clean the curve" of the 144?

HeadStrongGrafx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you seem to be one of the few active half circle owners on reef2reef I was wondering what you use for front algae glass cleaner. I am slowly accumulating equipment to set mine up and started thinking about maintenance. Does a normal magnetic cleaner "clean the curve" of the 144?
On my old 144 1/2 I used mighty magnets! Hands down best there is!

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the flipper max, it does a great job. Down at the sand I put on my scuba gear and use an old credit card.
Hey, was just thinking about you yesterday. Hope all is well brother!

Dbasileccim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have followed this build thread for a long time as I put together my oceanic 144. I rebuilt the stand base to make it a bit bigger, built new canopy with a lift, added a bunch of live rock, six ai 26 lights and got basic apex running. I came back here to see what your tank matured into and was surprised to not see an update of pictures for a long time. How is your system doing? Any pictures?

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have followed this build thread for a long time as I put together my oceanic 144. I rebuilt the stand base to make it a bit bigger, built new canopy with a lift, added a bunch of live rock, six ai 26 lights and got basic apex running. I came back here to see what your tank matured into and was surprised to not see an update of pictures for a long time. How is your system doing? Any pictures?
Thanks for looking! My tank is struggling right now, gave away and sold 95% of my corals. After the velvet out break and totally pulling everything out I'm going through the ugly stages once again. I had a major aptasia out break. Ordered some Bergiha's and letting them work things out. I moved all my wrasses to the qt. I have my apex all set up and my DOS ready to roll when everything levels out. Not rushing things, just letting nature play its course. I will have to jump over and see your progress!

Dbasileccim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for looking! My tank is struggling right now, gave away and sold 95% of my corals. After the velvet out break and totally pulling everything out I'm going through the ugly stages once again. I had a major aptasia out break. Ordered some Bergiha's and letting them work things out. I moved all my wrasses to the qt. I have my apex all set up and my DOS ready to roll when everything levels out. Not rushing things, just letting nature play its course. I will have to jump over and see your progress!
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I really haven't posted my tank at all. Just aquascaping now. I was following your results as I collected parts. I'll post a picture shortly. Good luck on the tank! Don't give up.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back