HD's 144 1/2 Moon

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No build thread would be complete without challenges from time to time. My challenge happens to be velvet based on my previous experiences with it. This my worst case guess. Yep, tomorrow will be a mad scramble to save what I can. I have 3 of my fav's MIA all of which are my last 3 additions, which sadly were the last 3 to complete my stocking. My pink margin, swallowtail and my yelloweye kole. To say the wind has been knocked out of my sails would be a huge understatement. My yellow Corris is flashing but all others are acting normal for now. It's going to be a busy weekend....

Well, I guess i came at a bad time. I'll wait outside. :(

I dealt with it last year. It's tough watching the fish suffer for the first 48-72 hrs. But after that, they get better fast...

Glad I came tho, I will catch up when I am not getting ready for a reef expo tomorrow in CT.

And by the way, congrats on the Supporter Giveaway Win. This tank is FANTASTIC. I love it. Cant wait to catch up on the journey!

Best of luck with the QT process that is about to unfold. Talk to you soon sir.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good start! Be careful putting any wrasse through the rally bath. If they go to the top of the water looking for air at all pull them out fast. The two of mine that did that passed very soon afterward.
Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No flukes fell off the foxface, 1 came off the cleaner Wrasse.

So far 2 marrons, foxface and cleaner Wrasse seems to be taking the fw dip and bath fine. 5 mins and the clowns go into the DT. I have 80% of my rock pulled from my DT. I amazes me how hard everything is to catch and how well they hide

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No flukes fell off the foxface, 1 came off the cleaner Wrasse.

So far 2 marrons, foxface and cleaner Wrasse seems to be taking the fw dip and bath fine. 5 mins and the clowns go into the DT. I have 80% of my rock pulled from my DT. I amazes me how hard everything is to catch and how well they hide

Haha. It's always a test of patience and form catching the buggers!

You gonna do prazipro to deworm?

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have to round up the leopard wrass, the Exquisite, the yellow coris if he is still alive, Scissortail goby if he is still alive and tiger goby. I did see my pistol shrimp, yah! It's still alive, haven't seen it for months!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down to catching the leopard, yellow coris and hunt for another missing Scissortail. The wrasses are somewhere in the sand, no idea where. I'll have to wait them out. All but 2 pieces of rock out (1 has nems on it). All others are doing good, no losses yet (saying that as I'm knocking myself on the head). If I somehow manage to save all of these I will NEVER not qt again. Stupid is as stupid does mamma always said. :D

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All living fish are caught and accounted for. Still missing 1 Scissortail goby. If he was hiding in the rock he's probably a gonner, I inspected every piece coming out. I have been looking to see if these also bury? Is anyone familiar with these fish that can help answer that question? The yellow coris is now in the rally bath.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the pic it looks like more than velvet. Unless this is a secondary infection. I'm afraid it isn't though.

IMG_20190505_165149.jpg

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my pink margin, swallowtail angel, looks like 2 Scissortail Gobies, flamehawk and a spotted yelloweye tang.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all my rock out, taking a break then rebuilding my scape. Long stressful day as you well know @Scurvy. I don't mind the fallow period, I need to do a couple of massive wc's. I have struggled with my big 3 for sometime and needed to do a reboot.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my pink margin, swallowtail angel, looks like 2 Scissortail Gobies, flamehawk and a spotted yelloweye tang.
Sorry to hear it... Deflating is the word I’ve settled on using. One more tip: make sure the QT’s are covered as best they can be. I lost two jumpers long after they were through the worst of the velvet. Tank was make shift covered but the wrasses managed to find the small gaps. its hard with hang filters.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear it... Deflating is the word I’ve settled on using. One more tip: make sure the QT’s are covered as best they can be. I lost two jumpers long after they were through the worst of the velvet. Tank was make shift covered but the wrasses managed to find the small gaps. its hard with hang filters.
I have that area "covered". Fortunately it came with a light and a cover.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all my rock out, taking a break then rebuilding my scape. Long stressful day as you well know @Scurvy. I don't mind the fallow period, I need to do a couple of massive wc's. I have struggled with my big 3 for sometime and needed to do a reboot.
I’m still debating what to do myself. Can’t get the rock work back where I had it and the aiptasia has gone bananas with all of the chaos. May do a hard reboot and roll FOWLR. Probably moving come September so not sure how much effort its really worth giving. Deflated! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back