He Vanished.........

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work yesterday and my clownfish has vanished without a trace. My leading theories I have are the following but only theories I have no evidence .

- He jumped and my cat ate him whole ? Seems unlikely my cat would eat the whole fish
- He jumped and I just cant find the body anywhere in the room?
-Sucked down the intake pipes? I checked with flashlights in the pipes and do not see him and I checked the sump and filter socks ........no clownfish
-He was bullied by my chromis and died within 8 hours and the crabs ate him? seems unlikely since there was no signs of bullying previously and he was in perfect health the day before
- mysterious health issue and quick death and the crabs ate him? I scanned the tank I don't even see a skeleton
- my emerald crab or one of my big hermit crabs grabbed him and ate him? again I saw no skeleton and I had an athias die while I was at work but I found his skeleton

I really think he vanished into thin air at this point ....... big mystery

Not an IT guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work yesterday and my clownfish has vanished without a trace. My leading theories I have are the following but only theories I have no evidence .

- He jumped and my cat ate him whole ? Seems unlikely my cat would eat the whole fish
-Sucked down the intake pipes? I checked with flashlights in the pipes and do not see him and I checked the sump and filter socks ........no clownfish
-He was bullied by my chromis and died within 8 hours and the crabs ate him? seems unlikely since there was no signs of bullying previously and he was in perfect health the day before
- mysterious health issue and quick death and the crabs ate him? I scanned the tank I don't even see a skeleton
- my emerald crab or one of my big hermit crabs grabbed him and ate him? again I saw no skeleton and I had an athias die while I was at work but I found his skeleton

I had the same. Anthias and my flame angel gone. Like gone girl.

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what makes you think the cat wouldn’t eat it?
confused cat GIF

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tail never to be seen again. I think my pistol shrimp is a mass murderer at this point.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
confused cat GIF
Well my girlfriend left the lid on my tank open and her dog ate the diamond goby so possible. Right now I can’t did my mccoskers wrasse anywhere I checked under all the rocks and there is a tight lid on the tank now. No skeleton either and nothing the back filter of the all in one tank so kind of disappeared too

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should put a screen mesh on top of the tank to prevent carpet surfers in the future.

Sorry for your loss... had a blue hippo carpet surf on me when I had my old 90g setup.

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same. Anthias and my flame angel gone. Like gone girl.
So weird hey? You would think the skeleton would still be in the tank which happened with my anthias but the clownfish is just vanished
confused cat GIF
I could see my cat nibbling at it but not eating it whole. I had a goby that jumped out of QT 6 months ago and I found the body my cat didn't touch it . So probably not my cat ...

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
confused cat GIF
I could see my cat nibbling at it but not eating it whole. I had a goby that jumped out of QT 6 months ago and I found the body my cat didn't touch it . So probably not my cat ...

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tail never to be seen again. I think my pistol shrimp is a mass murderer at this point.
Yeah I am thinking that one of the crabs grabbed him in the night. Maybe ill lift some rocks tonight and see if I can find a body

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My vote is with the cat, who may have hidden the body in your sofa

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lawnmower blenny disappear recently. I didn't know what happened to him until I noticed all of my hermit crabs gathering together under one of my rocks. They had a very nice blenny dinner.
Don't underestimate how quickly your cuc can dispose of the body of a dead fish

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lawnmower blenny disappear recently. I didn't know what happened to him until I noticed all of my hermit crabs gathering together under one of my rocks. They had a very nice blenny dinner.
Don't underestimate how quickly your cuc can dispose of the body of a dead fish
True I saw it with my anthias that was eaten while I was at work but I did find the skeleton. I have not seen a skeleton as of yet so seems odd ....

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True I saw it with my anthias that was eaten while I was at work but I did find the skeleton. I have not seen a skeleton as of yet so seems odd ....
Over the years I have had several fish consumed by cuc and I've never noticed any skeleton left, but I've also always had a crushed coral/ coarse sand substrate so I'd say it blends in pretty well. It would probably be more obvious if it were fine sand or bare bottom.
Plus I never really went out of my way to look for one either.

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cat theory:( but still. Sorry for that. My clowns don't really jump. Does your cat watch the aquarium?
No its weird has no interest in the fish tanks . It did show interest once when my chromis splashed the surface in my QT tank but only for a minute haha. Even if I hold my cat right up to the glass its like get me the F out of here haha. I don't think she likes the sound of the water ......

I will be investigating more when I get home from work tonight......

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely thing that happened (since you eliminated it going into the sump) is since there was no cover the fish jumped out, died and the cat either ate it or grabbed it and left it somewhere else. If it had died during the night you would have found it in the morning floating or on the bottom with critters starting to eat it. Unless the fish was tiny and you had a bunch of good size crabs the carcass would have still been in pretty good shape other than being dead. Are you sure its not in the tank? In my tank I have so much rock and corals that even the largest fish would be impossible to find if it was dead deep in the rocks.

OP
OP
czoolander

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely thing that happened (since you eliminated it going into the sump) is since there was no cover the fish jumped out, died and the cat either ate it or grabbed it and left it somewhere else. If it had died during the night you would have found it in the morning floating or on the bottom with critters starting to eat it. Unless the fish was tiny and you had a bunch of good size crabs the carcass would have still been in pretty good shape other than being dead. Are you sure its not in the tank? In my tank I have so much rock and corals that even the largest fish would be impossible to find if it was dead deep in the rocks.
It is for sure a possibility that it is somewhere in the rocks its a 5ft 109g so lots of space to hide . I might lift a few rocks tonight and see if I can find what is left of him if anything.....

He was very healthy from appearance great fin condition . Bright eyes . swimming normal super active and eating everyday with big appetite . Really not sure why he would have died...... so weird

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 35+ years of having tanks the one thing I could never figure out was when everythings perfect, fish all healthy and you wake up to a dead fish. No reason for it. Luckily it only happens on rare occasions like 1 fish every 5 years.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back