Headie Corals Closing

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at Headie Corals this evening and noticed that some of the tanks were empty and starting talking with the guys. They said they are closing prior to February 1st. They also will be going the on.ine sales route

Sad to see another brick and mortar store go away.

OP
OP
Blitzie

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have Blakes Aqua Den in that area.
Plus Colchester Pet and Shoreline Pet in different areas

GobyApparatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is the third? TCR, Headie Corals and ???
3rd he is referring to is Max Reef. Plus Something Fishy in RI is closing their retail location and focusing on installs & maintenance. I'll be honest business is tough. Online sales of coral and supplies has skyrocketed in the last year as well as the rise of basement stores. One would assume that these closures would create a boom for the stores remaining.... but it isn't. Been trying to figure out why online is booming. I still think it's better to pick out fish and coral in person. I don't think it's so much about pricing.... I think it's more about people like to shop at 11pm in their underwear. I recently started doing some live sales trying to make ends meet. Support your local fish store!
P.S. I don't care if you show up in your underwear.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, wow. I didn't realize Max Reef too. I always thought CT had such a great selection of LFS's. Seems that is quickly changing.

GobyApparatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, wow. I didn't realize Max Reef too. I always thought CT had such a great selection of LFS's. Seems that is quickly changing.
I'm not sure what's going on w/ Max Reef exactly. What I've been told is that they're focusing on custom tanks and maintenance not selling coral and fish.

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it really stinks the average Joe doesn't realize all that goes into a brick and mortar store ... it's really a lot of thankless work ......

hans1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of all the stores that have closed over the last few years:
Puppy Center - West Hartford
Realm Of Pets - Southington
Fin & Feather - Groton
Go Fish - Clinton/Westbrook
Traveling Sea's - Waterbury/Oakville
Fintastic - Rocky Hill then East Hartford

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at max reef over the weekend and they had some fish and coral but not the selection I was expecting. I'm not sure if it was because it was a holiday weekend and they haven't gotten a fresh shipment in or what but I was alittle disappointed. They did have a new dividing wall up to seperate the tanks area and their workshop area.

ctsps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob with ct is nobody gets high end corals or fish,you have to have a variety,me myself wont buy anything local except supplies

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been checking out MaxReef's site from time to time (of course, one can never be _certain_ how up-to-date the stocklists there are), but it's basically told me "Yeah, we have a few fish in the shop, nothing special..."

Along with TCR closing, that makes me sad - MaxReef, I thought, had / has a _ton_ of potential to be a great shop ... if they'd just fill their tanks!

Have never been to Headie's, and had wanted to check them out once things have settled here, so that makes me sad as well.

The state of reef-shops in CT - at least in my neighborhood - seems to be "Few but Expensive". (And of course, if everyone's buying fish from LA/BZ/Wherever, just why _should_ the local shops bother to stock cool stuff that swims in circles in their tanks for weeks to months?)

~Bruce

GobyApparatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob with ct is nobody gets high end corals or fish,you have to have a variety,me myself wont buy anything local except supplies
Can you define high end? If you're talking about SPS I can understand that. No WD here but huge selection of LPS but most just buy $10-$40 frags. Not seeing much demand for the high end. Just sits around. But for fish generally around 100 different species stocked. A few Achilles tangs out the door in last month and another coming in tomorrow, Blotched Anthias sitting here for months, designer clowns etc . Prices generally below LA/BZ. Haven't visited other places recently besides Exotic in Milford and there's some great stuff there. I've heard Blake's new shop is nice. Please let us know what all the LFS can do to earn more of your business. Suggestions always appreciated. All of the LFS want happy customers and more of them. Anyone please post suggestions/feedback below. Without you the rest of the LFS crumble.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say, I _love_ the ability to shop at a LFS, especially for livestock. Is it healthy? Is it a good example of what it's supposed to look like? Is it bright and alert? Is it eating? What can the staffer there tell me about this individual (always keeping in mind, of course, that s/he'd really like to make a sale today . . . ) creature?

Buying livestock online means you trust them to send you the healthiest and prettiest - as opposed to the slowest one in the tank, with the cute little white dots on it and the bonus flukes, the one on the weight-loss program.

~Bruce

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back