Headie Corals Closing

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My answer to that would be very biased.... but check out the list of stores that support CTARS.

Your answer would also be true . . . (~_^)

In a lot of ways, LFS are at the mercy of their suppliers - if a supplier ships healthy fish, the LFS will have healthy stock this week. If the supplier ships fish with ich or flukes hiding in their gills, the LFS will have to handle that problem. Most of the proper LFS run systems with copper in them, but many don't - and Petco's corporate parent doesn't allow them to, so I consider ich a virtual guarantee from that source! I did have communication with a shop (not in CT) that's thinking about performing actual acclimation / quarantine on at least some fish prior to sale - it was like seeing a mermaid riding a unicorn in my experience . . .

That list of Sponsor stores? Those are folks who care enough about the hobby, the aquarium community, and the livestock to make the extra effort and do it the very best they can - and they're the go-tos in this part of the country.

~Bruce

Coralacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has to be hard. You can order a purple tang for $99, but a LFS has to charge $200 just to make a dime. Those owners aren't living like Trump.
My purple tang cost $38 at a LFS and lived for 12 years. Still be alive if my power didn't go out 10 years ago. He was heathy as hell.

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Headie Corals for the first time today. Cool little shop, its a shame to see it go!

LeslieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never buy livestock on line, I want to see what I'm getting and even more importantly, support my local LFS. I'm not a huge customer, but I am loyal. Everything in my tank has come from people in the club, club conferences or CT LFS

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit I need to do more to support the local shops. Aside from buying the occasional supplies, most of my purchases are from online orders. However, I did just buy several hundred dollars worth of coral during Jeromy's live sale. Redemption? A step in the right direction at least. ;)

I just remembered also that there was an LFS in East Hartford that also recently closed. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name. Anyone?

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if we will be losing club sponsorships from these few stores that are closing or will they continue to support us since they are still in the hobby to a different extent?

seagull18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit I need to do more to support the local shops. Aside from buying the occasional supplies, most of my purchases are from online orders. However, I did just buy several hundred dollars worth of coral during Jeromy's live sale. Redemption? A step in the right direction at least. ;)

I just remembered also that there was an LFS in East Hartford that also recently closed. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name. Anyone?

Exotic Fin & Feather

seagull18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Wildlife in Manchester is moving to a new location in South Windsor around the middle of January. Supposedly it's going to be a bigger and better store.

TCR2505

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy isn't it! Sorry to hear about so many stores closing. But as I'm reading, you can still reach out to many of these places. As for high end corals, they are available.... the only thing is most want "high end" and "low end" prices...lol. There are so many coral gems to be found out there... we are happy to help if anyone is looking for something in particular...

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the reefing world, technology is advancing at a rapid rate. I’m all about supporting the local fish store, I’ve shopped at pretty much all the stores around the CT area, do I have my go-to’s yes, we all do. I mentioned technology because a lot of folks in this thread have mentioned seeing the product before they buy it. Almost all vendors have the ability to take good quality photos of the corals they are buying, hell I seen one vendor who posts videos of each coral frag he’s selling (he’s a bit more expensive) but it’s taking the whole I need to see it before I buy it excuse away.

What people fail to realize is that a lot of these basement operations have the ability to buy these high end corals, let them grow into mini colonies and start chipping away at them and selling frags. I see countless numbers of folks on a certain SPS group on Facebook advertising beautiful pieces and doing auction style purchases.

Brick and motor is also limited to just the surrounding states, where as the basement shop who can do the shipping and handle the online orders has a nationwide audience. People who own our LFS are usually a one man/woman operation with a few helpers, couple old school dudes providing the best they can. These new younger owners know how to work the social media sites and get their names out there. I think LFS need to move beyond the B&M and add some online interaction…like someone said…we are shopping in our underwear!

Tweaked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stores closing has in fact boosted sales for Exotic. In there all the time and allot of traffic lately as people find the others closed. Bob has lots of goodies on order just trying to keep up and has been one of the biggest CTARS supporters for upwards of a decade if not more.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drive down to exotic from Danbury when I need something, bobs always answering questions trying to help his customers. I'll continue to make the hour drive for fair prices great service and quality.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm basically an hour minimum from any good LFS in any direction that I've found. I'd like to visit shoreline but they are really far so i need a good excuse... Lol

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stores closing has in fact boosted sales for Exotic. In there all the time and allot of traffic lately as people find the others closed. Bob has lots of goodies on order just trying to keep up and has been one of the biggest CTARS supporters for upwards of a decade if not more.
Bob definitely takes care of us!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back