Healthy Looking Cherub Dead in 12 Hours

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really sorry for your loss :( It can hurt just as much to lose a fish as any other pet, especially when they have such personalities. I've cried over losing cichlids, you certainly aren't alone. Hang in there!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m really trying my best to do good by every critter that comes into my care wether that’s fish, coral, inverts, mammals, reptiles, whatever. I was diagnosed with clinical depression 4 years ago and it really changed me, I’m glad that I’m getting help now but it’s still hard sometimes especially when something like this breaks my heart. Maybe I’ll ask my dad (an ex-reefer who got me into the hobby so he knows what he’s doing) to get me a new mystery fish for the tank for Christmas so I won’t have to feel like I’m replacing him. Thank you for your kindness!
Thank you for inspiration:)
And just remember doctors are humans too. Diagnoses are merely definitions that schooling has placed on ailments that I firmly believe limit and hinder us most from achieving our fullest potential.
I went to school to be a doctor. Even have a psychology degree.
Half way through I realized most of my peers where worse off than any of our patients.
I quit medical school before I graduated because I was making more money than I would have if I graduated school:)
Skys the limit for you though.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dissected many fish that just all of sudden die, without notice in a healthy tank, with other non effected fish. I almost always find some sort of internal organ damage, many times with the liver. Fish are exposed to so many poisons today from tank cleaners to medications. Past exposure to copper or antibiotics is a common suspect. It's not always our fault.

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT?
I did not, I let the LFS do it for me since I only had 1 tank and a maximum of 3 fish with the angel being the last addition. I saw the QT set up though, it was only my fish with a HOB filter. No live rock or sand. It was just a 45 day observation period but he had no issues, ate well the whole time, and appeared to be very healthy. I feel it would be unlikely that something that could’ve been weeded out in QT would’ve struck just now

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dissected many fish that just all of sudden die, without notice in a healthy tank, with other non effected fish. I almost always find some sort of internal organ damage, many times with the liver. Fish are exposed to so many poisons today from tank cleaners to medications. Past exposure to copper or antibiotics is a common suspect. It's not always our fault.
Thank you, I’ve dissected a few fish but I couldn’t bring myself to do it on this one. I know that he hasn’t been in any copper/meds since he’s been in my care but I have no idea how he was collected and if it was with cyanide or something. It’s really reassuring to know that it probably wasn’t anything to do with the care I gave it and that my other fish will be just fine. They are captive bred clowns that have never been in copper or medicated so hopefully I’m able to care for them for many years to come!

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for inspiration:)
And just remember doctors are humans too. Diagnoses are merely definitions that schooling has placed on ailments that I firmly believe limit and hinder us most from achieving our fullest potential.
I went to school to be a doctor. Even have a psychology degree.
Half way through I realized most of my peers where worse off than any of our patients.
I quit medical school before I graduated because I was making more money than I would have if I graduated school:)
Skys the limit for you though.
I’m actually wanting to become an orthopedic surgeon with a focus on foot and ankle, walking the footsteps of my dad. I’m planning to take over his practice when I get older so he can retire. I’m hoping that I can overcome my diagnosis on my own so I can get off this medication. I’ve already made leaps and bounds towards recovery and am in a much better place mentally than I was four years ago :)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually wanting to become an orthopedic surgeon with a focus on foot and ankle, walking the footsteps of my dad. I’m planning to take over his practice when I get older so he can retire. I’m hoping that I can overcome my diagnosis on my own so I can get off this medication. I’ve already made leaps and bounds towards recovery and am in a much better place mentally than I was four years ago :)
Ahhh and you will im sure!
I come from a family full of engineers that did amazing things. Things they can't even talk to me about revolving around clearances. Much greater men than me that changed the world.
Which is why I rebelled and chose a different path in medical field. Huge feet to fill but at the end of the day I still ended up engineering and building things. And doing bigger things than them like changing the face of this earth and putting people on it that I can be proud of and talk about.
Just remember its true you can do anything you put your mind to and don't let anyone put limits.
If they do walk past them:)

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry to hear about your loss! Again I don’t know what could have happened except what someone mentioned to be organ damage / organ failure from exposure to meds perhaps. :( This loss of yours has been just as big of a surprise to me as it has been for you. Best of luck if you decide to try another one! They’re very cute and pretty little fish indeed. :( Good luck with your midterms too! Suck that these things find us at the most stressful of times. Do whatever it takes to mourn your loss. Losing one of the creatures we keep in our reefs is nothing less than losing a cat, dog, bird, maybe even certain people. I completely understand and I’d feel the same way if I were you. I don’t want a single fish or other creature of mine to die other than from old age or complications brought by old age.

Once again, RIP your little Cherub and I’m sorry for your loss.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen I am not ashamed to say I cried when my entire tank got wiped from ich twice. Add on to the fact that schools a b****. Plus depression runs in the family. Why is it that Redding is the greatest gift but the worst punishment when things go wrong. You have my heartfelt condolences.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sad when these things happen but don't beat yourself up about. I highly doubt it was anything you did and the fact your upset means you did everything possible to give it the best life it could have.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s amazing!!! And I’m so happy for you!!! Keep on keepin’ on. I wish all the best for you :)

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen I am not ashamed to say I cried when my entire tank got wiped from ich twice. Add on to the fact that schools a b****. Plus depression runs in the family. Why is it that Redding is the greatest gift but the worst punishment when things go wrong. You have my heartfelt condolences.
Truer words have never been spoken!

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sad when these things happen but don't beat yourself up about. I highly doubt it was anything you did and the fact your upset means you did everything possible to give it the best life it could have.
Thanks, it really hurts when I lose an animal. I really do love all of them and the fact that he was so young is really weighing on me. I think I’ll order another one through quarantinedfish or something so I know it’s perfectly healthy from the start. It’ll be about 3x the price than if I bought from my LFS but if that means that my fish gets off to the best start possible then that’s what I’ll do. I’ll start looking into it in mid January after school and shipping calms down

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it really hurts when I lose an animal. I really do love all of them and the fact that he was so young is really weighing on me. I think I’ll order another one through quarantinedfish or something so I know it’s perfectly healthy from the start. It’ll be about 3x the price than if I bought from my LFS but if that means that my fish gets off to the best start possible then that’s what I’ll do. I’ll start looking into it in mid January after school and shipping calms down

Do they offer captive bred cherubs now, that would be the best bet. I've ordered qt fish only to have die a year later. With one I found severe liver damage which I have posted here under "Lion necropsy". I found out part of their qt program included gram point of sale/gram neg antibiotics. This is of course a lionfish where liver failure happens alot. Prophylactic treatment employed by many ends in a shortened life, many do cocktails which mix drugs making them even more toxic.

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know there was a captive bred option available! I will definitely look into those, do you know anybody I can contact to try to get one? I’m sorry about your lion, I’ve read through a couple of your necropsy threads, they were very interesting. They’re one of the reasons I prefer to do a 60 day observation QT instead of just medicating the water on arrival. I hunt lions in the Caribbean so I’ve done a little exploring when I’m butchering them, I do notice anomalies in the organs sometimes but mostly I’m shocked at the amount of matter in their digestive tracts
Do they offer captive bred cherubs now, that would be the best bet. I've ordered qt fish only to have die a year later. With one I found severe liver damage which I have posted here under "Lion necropsy". I found out part of their qt program included gram point of sale/gram neg antibiotics. This is of course a lionfish where liver failure happens alot. Prophylactic treatment employed by many ends in a shortened life, many do cocktails which mix drugs making them even more toxic.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss @footgal I know this was a very special fish for you. I cried when my wrasse went carpet surfing. I don’t think you did anything to cause this; the rest of the tank is still fine. Keep your chin up girl, you’ve got great things in your future!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back