Healthy Looking Cherub Dead in 12 Hours

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m distraught. This morning I woke up at about 6 am and fed my little fishies, a cherub angel with a pair of clowns. All three looked great, swimming actively and eating. Perfectly normal. I went to school, came home and had dinner then went upstairs to feed the fish again. I discovered my sweet little cherub being eaten by my cuc which includes a small starfish but it’s not a fish killer, more like a tile star. I’m destroyed and have no idea what happened. I did a water change (about 10%) three days ago. Corals, clowns, and inverts are all looking great. Water isn’t cloudy and the corpse appears to be in great condition other than the obvious bite marks from the cuc decomposing it. I raised this fish from a baby, it’s less than a year old, and I was very attached. I’m having a breakdown over it now and I feel like it’s my fault. Can anyone help me understand what happened and if my other critters are in danger? Thank you

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies, pictures.
16E29F97-7F0A-4332-8D8E-0DFA89CCCFB9.jpeg
42CA57F0-C7DC-4D2E-851E-157571154A7C.jpeg
911C4A12-618D-40A1-BBA6-7EB4A9236D47.jpeg

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no advice to offer other than don’t beat yourself up, these things happen in the hobby. Loss is terrible to deal with but you are clearly are caring fish keeper. Hopefully someone can pinpoint.
good place to start would be to share your tank parameters

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no advice to offer other than don’t beat yourself up, these things happen in the hobby. Loss is terrible to deal with but you are clearly are caring fish keeper. Hopefully someone can pinpoint.
good place to start would be to share your tank parameters
I already did a water change so all the perams are changed now. But since the corals, inverts, and other fish are doing well I’d guess that it was a problem with my fishy. It’s just really a gut blow when you raise a fish from 1/2” then find it being picked at by hermit crabs when you saw it looking perfect that morning

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’m so sorry to hear! I’ve know you loved this little guy with all your heart as you always talked about him and it is clear you did everything you could for your fish!

If I’m not mistaken. By any chance is this the tank that you have Dino’s in?

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’m so sorry to hear! I’ve know you loved this little guy with all your heart as you always talked about him and it is clear you did everything you could for your fish!

If I’m not mistaken. By any chance is this the tank that you have Dino’s in?
It is not, this tank has been very stable. The only issue was bubble algae about 3-4 months ago. I don’t even have aiptasia in here :(. I’m gutted over this fish and with midterms coming up for school it was just enough to give me my first depressive episode since starting my antidepressants. Today has really sucked

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m distraught. This morning I woke up at about 6 am and fed my little fishies, a cherub angel with a pair of clowns. All three looked great, swimming actively and eating. Perfectly normal. I went to school, came home and had dinner then went upstairs to feed the fish again. I discovered my sweet little cherub being eaten by my cuc which includes a small starfish but it’s not a fish killer, more like a tile star. I’m destroyed and have no idea what happened. I did a water change (about 10%) three days ago. Corals, clowns, and inverts are all looking great. Water isn’t cloudy and the corpse appears to be in great condition other than the obvious bite marks from the cuc decomposing it. I raised this fish from a baby, it’s less than a year old, and I was very attached. I’m having a breakdown over it now and I feel like it’s my fault. Can anyone help me understand what happened and if my other critters are in danger? Thank you
I’m so sorry for your loss footgal, fish friendships are so much closer than human ones especially when we raise them up. I hope things turn out alright

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not, this tank has been very stable. The only issue was bubble algae about 3-4 months ago. I don’t even have aiptasia in here :(. I’m gutted over this fish and with midterms coming up for school it was just enough to give me my first depressive episode since starting my antidepressants. Today has really sucked
It’ll be alright, I’m sorry life’s been hard on you. These things seem to happen at the most inconvenient times. Just know these kinda things happen, and it’s not anyone’s fault it’s just how things go. I hope things get better and good luck on your midterms. God bless my friend <3

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost fish same way. Perfectly good then gone. Like said it does suck and definetely losses hit closer to home because we have a huge connection to our living reefs. All we can do is be better. Not sure how you could have here. Ive seen your reefs and know the care you put in so my guess is something out of your control.
Is it new fish?

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about that, like above mentions things just happen as well. I wouldnt beat yourself up about it like above mention as well. You clearly have a passion for that fish and fish keeping as a whole so it's likely just something inherent in keeping a tank.

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry for your loss footgal, fish friendships are so much closer than human ones especially when we raise them up. I hope things turn out alright

It’ll be alright, I’m sorry life’s been hard on you. These things seem to happen at the most inconvenient times. Just know these kinda things happen, and it’s not anyone’s fault it’s just how things go. I hope things get better and good luck on your midterms. God bless my friend <3

I've lost fish same way. Perfectly good then gone. Like said it does suck and definetely losses hit closer to home because we have a huge connection to our living reefs. All we can do is be better. Not sure how you could have here. Ive seen your reefs and know the care you put in so my guess is something out of your control.
Is it new fish?

Sorry to hear about that, like above mentions things just happen as well. I wouldnt beat yourself up about it like above mention as well. You clearly have a passion for that fish and fish keeping as a whole so it's likely just something inherent in keeping a tank.
Thanks y’all, it means a lot. He was about 8 months old since I got him as a 1/2” juvi and he was about 2” when he died. Definitely the most devastating thing that’s happened to me so far in this hobby, I never thought I’d lose him so early especially out of the blue like this

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks y’all, it means a lot. He was about 8 months old since I got him as a 1/2” juvi and he was about 2” when he died. Definitely the most devastating thing that’s happened to me so far in this hobby, I never thought I’d lose him so early especially out of the blue like this
I have literally shed tears over reef losses. Not ashamed to admit that and my wife probably thinks I'm crazy for it considering she's only seen me cry a cpl times ever. But Its super difficult losing corals and fish. Especially after all we do in caring for them trying to make things perfect I know.
Knowing your husbandry and efforts i wouldnt be at all surprised if it came down to fish hear attack or something completely nature related and out of your control.
Def don't let it move you like that though you have way more to worry about not to mention the 7 reefs your maintaining:)

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have literally shed tears over reef losses. Not ashamed to admit that and my wife probably thinks I'm crazy for it considering she's only seen me cry a cpl times ever. But Its super difficult losing corals and fish. Especially after all we do in caring for them trying to make things perfect I know.
Knowing your husbandry and efforts i wouldnt be at all surprised if it came down to fish hear attack or something completely nature related and out of your control.
Def don't let it move you like that though you have way more to worry about not to mention the 7 reefs your maintaining:)
Thank you! It feels really validating for you to say that you’ve cried over your reef too, my family is telling me to grow up and they’re just fish. I think maybe I’ll try another one in one of my other tanks, I don’t want to feel like I’m replacing him but I really loved his personality and vividness. It’s gonna really hurt tomorrow when I feed the tank and I don’t see his little face coming up from his sleeping cave. Thank you for the kind words about my reef keeping, I was starting to doubt myself since I’m not that experienced and maybe I did something wrong without knowing it. I’m crushed, but I’m glad at least my other critters aren’t in any danger

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It feels really validating for you to say that you’ve cried over your reef too, my family is telling me to grow up and they’re just fish. I think maybe I’ll try another one in one of my other tanks, I don’t want to feel like I’m replacing him but I really loved his personality and vividness. It’s gonna really hurt tomorrow when I feed the tank and I don’t see his little face coming up from his sleeping cave. Thank you for the kind words about my reef keeping, I was starting to doubt myself since I’m not that experienced and maybe I did something wrong without knowing it. I’m crushed, but I’m glad at least my other critters aren’t in any danger
Yup no one can understand until they keep a reef thats for sure. I look at it same way with all pets we keep. When one passes on its my duty to fill its place on earth so they can recieve same love all my pets do.
We have a reefing family here that im sure can all say the same thing.
Save your young brain from meds as its not done growing and open your heart and mind to loving and caring and experiencing it all:)
BTW you do have some of the nicest reefs I've ever seen.
Great Job:)

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have too, I think a lot of us do.
R.I.P. Jakob

OP
OP
PicassoClown04

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup no one can understand until they keep a reef thats for sure. I look at it same way with all pets we keep. When one passes on its my duty to fill its place on earth so they can recieve same love all my pets do.
We have a reefing family here that im sure can all say the same thing.
Save your young brain from meds as its not done growing and open your heart and mind to loving and caring and experiencing it all:)
BTW you do have some of the nicest reefs I've ever seen.
Great Job:)
Thank you! I’m really trying my best to do good by every critter that comes into my care wether that’s fish, coral, inverts, mammals, reptiles, whatever. I was diagnosed with clinical depression 4 years ago and it really changed me, I’m glad that I’m getting help now but it’s still hard sometimes especially when something like this breaks my heart. Maybe I’ll ask my dad (an ex-reefer who got me into the hobby so he knows what he’s doing) to get me a new mystery fish for the tank for Christmas so I won’t have to feel like I’m replacing him. Thank you for your kindness!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back