Healthy RBTA

Jonnyvasil34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to get some verification on this matter. Just wanting a few opinions here. Does this look like a heathy RBTA to anybody?
F2E2217E-75AE-4A18-B9B4-33B281057DFB.jpeg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it that small when you got it? Looks withdrawn to me. Does it stay tat way when the lights are on?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be fine just very small. Does it get enough flow? Does it change in appearance from time to time or just stays that way? Reactions to food? Moving? That’s sometimes an easier way to tell if it’s healthy. Bad signs are usually when it’s deflated and detached...

See pic below, I’ve had the one on the left for about 6yrs and it can extend about twice as much as in that pic. When I got it it was about the size you have in your pic. Sometimes it will hide and retract and look as small as yours.
(Pardon my nonexistent photo taking skills)

F2B4FDDD-DB1A-4467-9D46-5F3CC9291262.jpeg

OP
OP
Jonnyvasil34

Jonnyvasil34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be fine just very small. Does it get enough flow? Does it change in appearance from time to time or just stays that way? Reactions to food? Moving? That’s sometimes an easier way to tell if it’s healthy. Bad signs are usually when it’s deflated and detached...

See pic below, I’ve had the one on the left for about 6yrs and it can extend about twice as much as in that pic. When I got it it was about the size you have in your pic. Sometimes it will hide and retract and look as small as yours.

I don’t have the return nozzle directly on it because I was afraid it would float around. I can turn the nozzle towards it more if that’s a problem. It can change appearance from time to time, it gets taller sometimes. It doesent come out and grab the food but it would eat it once placed in its mouth.

OP
OP
Jonnyvasil34

Jonnyvasil34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It also moved but it has stayed in the same spot for about 3 days now.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks healthy to me. Perhaps just small in size so it won't look like EmdeReef's nems...

If the foot is attached to the rock then you shouldn't worry too much - they do weird things lol. Also, I heard it's not good to put the food directly in it's mouth, but rather just drop it on the nem somewhere and let it work it towards its mouth. Could be a myth tho... I don't know. It kind of makes sense to me. I wouldn't want anybody shoving food down my throat lol

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the return nozzle directly on it because I was afraid it would float around. I can turn the nozzle towards it more if that’s a problem. It can change appearance from time to time, it gets taller sometimes. It doesent come out and grab the food but it would eat it once placed in its mouth.

That sounds like it’s doing fine. As I said mine can “shrink” to that size sometimes and at night it hides in a hole you can barely see it. Don’t feed it more than once a week if it’s getting enough light.

They generally tend to like quite a bit of flow. If it’s attached to the rock there’s no way the flow from a nozzle could move it. I wouldn’t point it directly at it but in its direction. Mine sits below a gyre which blasts up to 100% and hasn’t tried moving.

OP
OP
Jonnyvasil34

Jonnyvasil34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks healthy to me. Perhaps just small in size so it won't look like EmdeReef's nems...

If the foot is attached to the rock then you shouldn't worry too much - they do weird things lol. Also, I heard it's not good to put the food directly in it's mouth, but rather just drop it on the nem somewhere and let it work it towards its mouth. Could be a myth tho... I don't know. It kind of makes sense to me. I wouldn't want anybody shoving food down my throat lol
Good point thanks!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back