Heat Generation?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I'm having this issue on my 3 year old 350 gallon display and 75 gallon sump. The issue is that my Apex probe is saying my tank is 80.2 degrees, which is when I have my apex set to alarm and shut the heaters off as a precaution. The heaters aren't on though...

I have external return pump that should be generating minimal heat. The only thing in the sump that would generate heat is my skimmer, heaters, and I have a Turbo Aquatics Algae scrubber that sits above the sump with two powerful Red LED lights set at max light output.

In the display, two MP40s, 2 Fx350 Gyres, 1 skimz S18 powerhead and 4 T5 80 watt bulbs (5 foot Aquatic life fixture) with 3 AI Hydra 52 LEDS at near max settings 14 inches above the the tank water.

I run a dehumidifier in my fish room, which heats the fish room some, but it's also my furnace room with my AC running almost non stop during the day with these higher temps.

I've used a cheap IR temp checker to scan objects, both in and around the tank. The tank is repeatedly showing 80.2 in the display. The surfaces in the fish room are showing around 75. My AC is showing 67 for my basement current temp.

Would the tank lights, pumps and dehumidifier really raise the temp 10-13 degrees of 400 gallons of water without any assistance from the heaters?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance that a pump or powerhead is getting old, or even gunked up? They tend to draw more power when they do, which in turn generates more heat. Also, dehumidifiers pump out hot air when they run. Any chance the hot air is being picked up by your skimmer and being injected into your tank?

FWIW, my tank will hit about 79.2 in the summer afternoons. We do super cooling for our AC, since energy is so expensive in Arizona. From 3p-8p each day, our AC is shut off (our house is spray foam insulated). The house can get up to 80 degrees before the AC would kick on again. During those 5 hours my tank will go from 77.5/78.2 to about 79.2. It can happen fast.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to hook up a fan to the sump or the display to move more air and plug it into my Apex. The dehumidifier is in the furnace room. Even with the furnace room door open it's still warmer in there than the rest of the basement. I'm wondering if it's like a greenhouse effect. The exhaust from the dehumidifier is warming up the room, skimmer is sucking in the warmer air, heating up the tank. Plus the focused lights from the scrubber and probably around 700-900 watts of lights on top of the tank, it just heats the tank. A half a degree from the lights and 1-2 degrees from the dehumidifier is all it would take. If I run a fan though, that will cause more evaporation which then will cause the dehumidifier to run more... ....

Back