Heater into Cheato reactor

Conal monaghan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone has tried chucking their heater into their Cheato reactor. If the Cheato reactor is acrylic it shouldn't warp due to the heat and seems like a nice way to save space.

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my only worry there is you are adding another thing that can fail to stop the heater from working.. flow through the reactor.

OP
OP
Conal monaghan

Conal monaghan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my only worry there is you are adding another thing that can fail to stop the heater from working.. flow through the reactor.
Ah that's true, i guess if that fails the reactor will heat up pretty quick

OP
OP
Conal monaghan

Conal monaghan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, its the worst. I'm in Australia and I lost my whole tank last year when I went away for the weekend and the town I was in was a cosy 40degrees (105F)

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eww sorry :/ during last year's hurricane we lost power for almost a week amid thankfully I was able to run my makeshift cooling fan (12v high speed computer fan) and my tank only hit 82°f when my house hit 102°f

OP
OP
Conal monaghan

Conal monaghan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eww sorry :/ during last year's hurricane we lost power for almost a week amid thankfully I was able to run my makeshift cooling fan (12v high speed computer fan) and my tank only hit 82°f when my house hit 102°f
Wow, only using the fan? what else did you do?

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was it for my 44 not a huge tank so it was ok, I didnt running the sump ( water level fluctuation didn't matter and I had enough rock to supply filtration) just my wave maker and an emergency bubbler switching every half hour off of a car battery and power inverter. It took quite a bit of RO but everything survived. It also helps that the fan I was using pushed about 180 cfm and most of my canopy is closed besides a few spots.

Clueless Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like if I comment as another Floridian about the hurricane and my tank we'll start hijacking this thread, lol. Simply put - if your running a tank you want to keep in FL, you need to have a backup generator; i've done it without and its a bloody nightmare. I got mine for a few hundred dollars and it runs off propane - run your chiller for a few hours every day and it'll keep the tank's cold buffer going :) I do have a double Ice Cap backup for my Tunze though for the next time this rolls around. Lugging around 3 super inefficient computer battery backups to get charged at your in-laws down the street or your office 15 minutes away to get charges is just silly. 7 P's - previous prior planning prevents tick poor performance!

Back to the original topic - I wouldn't put the heater in there for the mere fact that your limiting your flow to the heater and you want it to be in an open space.

OP
OP
Conal monaghan

Conal monaghan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that, I have just hidden the heater behind the central rock structure.

I have a Seneye with sms reminders set on. Hopefully, if anything like that happens, it will give me a warning sms and save the tank

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back