Heater recommendations

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, looking for suggestions for a heater for my 70 gallon with 20 or 30 gallon sump. I don't have a controller or anything. Might get an apex in the future but not any time soon. So I need a reliable heater. Let me know your ideas. Thanks!

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look on bulk reef supply's youtube channel. Cobalt neotherm before you get apex and eheim jager after you get your apex. Watch the videos about both. Then you will be able to form your own opinion on whether they're right for you.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can't say that I would recommend the Cobalt NeoTherm. I am currently running two of them in tandem, each 200W, controlled by an Apex with internal thermostat backups. I have had absolutely no problems with them, for the last 6 months. I also have a 50W one in my mixing bucket and it's fantastically rugged, you don't have to worry about it breaking when you stir.

But I am going to change the two in the DT out for Eheim Jagers as soon as the box arrives.

Has the problem with the NeoTherms been discussed here before? I just recently learned of it. In brief, there have been instances where the plastic case of the 200W model of this heater (and I believe also the 150W) would crack open while heating, spilling hot epoxy resin into the tank water, gumming up everything, killing livestock, and making the unfortunate aquarist's home smell like burnt plastic. This problem was supposedly fixed ~2 years ago with a redesign, but recently someone on another forum described how one manufactured in 8/16 has apparently failed in this way.

You'll notice that BRS does not carry the 200W model.

I can position a glass heater where it won't get bumped, or readily deal with a heater that dies or has a thermostat stuck in the on position, but the possibility of this kind of failure mode isn't acceptable to me, even if it's rare.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can't say that I would recommend the Cobalt NeoTherm. I am currently running two of them in tandem, each 200W, controlled by an Apex with internal thermostat backups. I have had absolutely no problems with them, for the last 6 months. I also have a 50W one in my mixing bucket and it's fantastically rugged, you don't have to worry about it breaking when you stir.

But I am going to change the two in the DT out for Eheim Jagers as soon as the box arrives.

Has the problem with the NeoTherms been discussed here before? I just recently learned of it. In brief, there have been instances where the plastic case of the 200W model of this heater (and I believe also the 150W) would crack open while heating, spilling hot epoxy resin into the tank water, gumming up everything, killing livestock, and making the unfortunate aquarist's home smell like burnt plastic. This problem was supposedly fixed ~2 years ago with a redesign, but recently someone on another forum described how one manufactured in 8/16 has apparently failed in this way.

You'll notice that BRS does not carry the 200W model.

I can position a glass heater where it won't get bumped, or readily deal with a heater that dies or has a thermostat stuck in the on position, but the possibility of this kind of failure mode isn't acceptable to me, even if it's rare.

Yea I knew the old ones had that problem, What I didn't know is the new one are having the same problems? If that's the case I may have to rethink my recommendation :-(

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Get a controller (Inkbird for a cheap one, Ranco for better quality, Apex etc for more controllability) with heat-shrunk tubing over the probe to make it saltwater safe. I went with Ranco
2) Good quality heater - Eheim Jager seems to be a top tier heater (admittedly, all heaters have a significant failure rate from what I read) although they are really darn long; titanium Finnex also has a following. I've read too many stories about Neo-Therms cracking and spilling black goo to ever want to buy one. I haven't seen a "really reliable" heater, though (hence the reliance on a controller/external sensor)
3) Consider 2 smaller heaters rather than 1 big heater (if 1 breaks, it takes twice as long to overheat the tank). I didn't do this, relying on #1 and #2

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my neotherm have 2 100watts in my system, 55 -60ish gallons of total water volume and they work great. If my house is between 60-75 degrees my tank stays between 77.8 and 78.1 throughout the day. I have read the horror stories but seems to be blown out of proportion, so many of these heaters without issues in comparison.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my neotherm have 2 100watts in my system, 55 -60ish gallons of total water volume and they work great. If my house is between 60-75 degrees my tank stays between 77.8 and 78.1 throughout the day. I have read the horror stories but seems to be blown out of proportion, so many of these heaters without issues in comparison.
The two that I have works great but if it ever leaks all is lost.

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I totally didn't realize the ink bird was out there. Looks like a cool deal. I can hook a heater up and a fan to it. Plus it seems pretty darn cheap! Keep the heater suggestions coming!

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beta version of the Cerebra and am waiting for the V2 to be released. Rumor has it, the big reveal is this weekend at RAP.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim Jager for sure, I've went cheap on them before and have regretted it with problems. After years and years I'll always use jager.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Pinpoint Temp Controller. One of the best purchases I made for my tank. Here's the description:
PinPoint Temperature Controller can easily handle up to a 1/2HP chiller AND 700 Watts of heaters (12 Amps). The PinPoint Temperature Controller is a dual-stage controller that can also be use as a single-stage controller. The temperature probe tip is made of 316 stainless steel and the 10-foot cable has a silicone jacket that is ozone resistant. Display Resolution: +/- 0.1§ F Accuracy +/- 1.0§ F Voltage: 110V

So I use 2 Eheim Jager heaters plugged into this controller. It detects temps to the tenth of a degree and keeps the tank in a 1 degree range. It has a heater plug slot and a chiller/fan plug slot. So if the temp gets past where you want it (temp range is also adjustable), it will trigger a chiller or fan.

Aside of the controllers, the Eheims are able to be calibrated to the exact temp.. So if strictly using a heater, I'd go Eheim. But a heater controller is highly recommended. I just didn't want a cheap Chinese controller that's possibly as prone to fail as the heaters themselves. Didn't need a whole system controller for $800+, so a $195 top of the line heating controller was a good compromise.

Whatever heater you go with, I would highly recommend having some sort of controller, except the JBJ Tru Temp. Even the best heaters fail.

batfish5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cobalt Neo-Therm,have used the 200 watt heaters in all 5 of my reef tanks.Bought them 2-3 yrs. ago,the temp is perfect in the cooler months.Over the yrs. I tried all of them,majority are junk!! The decision is yours,good luck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back