heater review

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed to buy some heaters for my tanks as we are getting some rather chilly weather here. I got one 'regular' glass heater that is like almost everybody else's design. It works OK, but the temperature dial is off by 4 to 6 degrees!

So I ordered an unusual one, OK, unusual to me, off Amazon with the brand name Vivasun. They only had 500 and 200 watt versions available when I ordered. But they make 50, 100, 300 & 400 watt as well as my 200 & 500 watt units. I got the 500 for my 90g tank. It's a great design. The heating element is titanium and can be completely submersed in the tank. At one end it has a blue & red light, red when it's heating and blue when it's not. It also has a digital temperature display. It shows the water's current temp until you push the button on the control unit along the electrical cord. Then it displays what temp you have the heater set at. It's so easy to use and can even be set horizontal in the tank. Oh, and the in tank temperature display agreed perfectly with 2 other water temperature thermometers!

BTW, these heater cost between $23 and $28 depending on the wattage. To me, these are a great deal! I bought a second unit for my frag tank.

viv 1.jpg

Viv 2.jpg

The heater in my tank
heater inside the tank.jpg

Close up of the display
heater display.jpg

The inline controller. Push the set button more and the display will cycle through it's range.
heater control.jpg

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so happy you posted this! I just ordered the same one, 2 days ago from Amazon, because Idk what my tank temp is...(dropped thermometer in the tank) but it's COLD and my corals are MAD. threw in a glass one, until this one arrives

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so happy you posted this! I just ordered the same one, 2 days ago from Amazon, because Idk what my tank temp is...(dropped thermometer in the tank) but it's COLD and my corals are MAD. threw in a glass one, until this one arrives
edit, mine is a different brand, and I paid more..darn it...but same concept

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed to buy some heaters for my tanks as we are getting some rather chilly weather here. I got one 'regular' glass heater that is like almost everybody else's design. It works OK, but the temperature dial is off by 4 to 6 degrees!

So I ordered an unusual one, OK, unusual to me, off Amazon with the brand name Vivasun. They only had 500 and 200 watt versions available when I ordered. But they make 50, 100, 300 & 400 watt as well as my 200 & 500 watt units. I got the 500 for my 90g tank. It's a great design. The heating element is titanium and can be completely submersed in the tank. At one end it has a blue & red light, red when it's heating and blue when it's not. It also has a digital temperature display. It shows the water's current temp until you push the button on the control unit along the electrical cord. Then it displays what temp you have the heater set at. It's so easy to use and can even be set horizontal in the tank. Oh, and the in tank temperature display agreed perfectly with 2 other water temperature thermometers!

BTW, these heater cost between $23 and $28 depending on the wattage. To me, these are a great deal! I bought a second unit for my frag tank.

viv 1.jpg

Viv 2.jpg

The heater in my tank

Close up of the display
heater display.jpg

The inline controller. Push the set button more and the display will cycle through it's range.
heater control.jpg
Keep us updated. I am about to have to order a few 500w ones. Gonna be setting up a keys/caribbean theme 7’ lagoon tank in the next month or so. Mine will be controlled by a ranco, but still would love to know how well they perform.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

viv 1.jpg

Viv 2.jpg

The heater in my tank

Close up of the display
heater display.jpg

heater control.jpg
Sounds like a great concept, and amazing for low budget, however for those more willing to spend more, the AquaTop ( titanium ) is similar, just has everything refined.

Again, titanium heating element with metal housing ( did that one have metal housing? )

and there is a thermometer, however instead of being and in unit one, it is a separate thermometer that can be placed further away from the heater to give a more accurate all around tempature.

the controller is also all out of water, screen control and all, here are some pics:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great concept, and amazing for low budget, however for those more willing to spend more, the AquaTop ( titanium ) is similar, just has everything refined.

Again, titanium heating element with metal housing ( did that one have metal housing? )

and there is a thermometer, however instead of being and in unit one, it is a separate thermometer that can be placed further away from the heater to give a more accurate all around tempature.

the controller is also all out of water, screen control and all, here are some pics:
Yes it does have a metal housing... that's the part I thought was Titanium?

What does the Aquatop 500w cost?

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does have a metal housing... that's the part I thought was Titanium?

What does the Aquatop 500w cost?
I honestly don't know, I thought that part was titanium too, just seems like that would be a lot of titanium!

I am using a 400 watt, and a 300 watt. The pricing is messed up. 500 watt is 80 bucks, but the 400 is 100 bucks....... and the 300 is on amazon for 150, however my lfs sells the 300 watt for 80. It really depends on where you look, however for any of the larger heaters in that line just expect to pay around $100 for it :)

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the larger sizes I would definitely go for Eheim Jagers myself. I believe they are little more energy efficient than other brands and that will quickly pay back the extra cost. I believe this is due to them being more efficient in transferring their heat from the element to the water due to the design and type of glass used. In my experience the same size Jager outperforms the other heaters I have used.

AstroMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ron.

How's that heater working out for you? I reckon that brand name is just a made up one for the US market as I have found these on the UK Amazon site branded POPETPOP. It looks identical to the one you have.

They're probably Chinese clones but if they work then...

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

viv 1.jpg

Viv 2.jpg

The heater in my tank

Close up of the display
heater display.jpg

heater control.jpg
Heaters are always a hot topic. Excuse the pun. People are passionate and very opinionated when it comes to their heater of choice. I like Cobalt heaters. I have a 300 watt in my 200 gallon system and it’s been going strong for months. I check temp accuracy with this Hanna checker. I’ve never seen the thermometer read any higher than .4 above the set tank temp. I don’t trust temp controllers anymore than the heater itself. Just roll with what works for you.

Attachments

• 4A4CACB0-3A6A-40F6-9B84-745C0464FE63.jpeg
    4A4CACB0-3A6A-40F6-9B84-745C0464FE63.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ron.

How's that heater working out for you? I reckon that brand name is just a made up one for the US market as I have found these on the UK Amazon site branded POPETPOP. It looks identical to the one you have.

They're probably Chinese clones but if they work then...

I have 2 now and I'm quite happy with them. Not that it's a big deal, but they seem to have far and away the best suction cups I've ever used. I can stick the heater to the side glass and it stays in place for weeks and weeks. I had to slide it up the glass to get it loose after a couple of months because it needed to be cleaned!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back