Heater vs CO2 scrubber

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago my big heater, 500w or 600w, died on me so I replaced it with a 300w heater I had on hand. That heater worked perfectly for the summer up until 2 days ago when it go cold and can not keep up with my tank. I am going to assume it is due to the air for my skimmer is coming from outside through the co2 scrubber. I have now added a second 300w heater and I am staying stable. Does anyone have a solution to pumping cold outside air directly into your system?

What heaters is everyone running? I need to get one ordered so it will be here when I return from deer hunting.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What size tank? Does price figure in. The new helix heaters look really awesome, but I haven’t justified the price yet. I was running finnex titanium heaters but since May of last year I have had at least 3 fail. One melted the controller and we found it the day before we left home.

I replaced with BRS titanium probes and ink bird controllers. I run two heaters in every tank and an auto shut off I case they get stuck on. I too run air from outside. That might be why mine are kicking on more, but with two properly sized in each tank they keep up fine. Not sure about the electrical bill though.

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t it a bit redundant to have both a fresh air supply, and a co2 scrubber in your skimmer intake? I thought fresh air supply would eliminate need for the scrubber?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back