Heaters. What are you using.

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Biglurr54, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Second Shot

Second Shot Active Member

Running a finnex controlled by apex. Heater is probably over 10 years old.

2. Allen752

Allen752 Member

One year on ITC-308 from Inkbird, works great till now. The most important is simple to use.

3. banditone

banditone Member

always used eheim jager they last well past life expectancy

4. Medic755

Medic755 Active Member

Finnex titanium being controlled by an Apex.

5. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I've mostly used Visi-therm but there may have been a couple interlopers over the years. I had the same Visi-therm in my 40g reef for 11 years without replacement (tank was given to a friend when we moved to Japan so no clue how long it lasted after that). Visi-therms in the current tank are a year old. I've only had one heater fail since '96 and that was a GEX from Japan.

6. Philt56

Philt56 Active Member

Bought the Cobalt neo-therm 300w heater.

I then bought the Finnex hc-0810m heater controller to use as a safety backup in case the thermostat on the heater failed and stuck. So I have the heater’s temperature set to 78 and the finnex controller set to 82 so that if the heater ever got stuck, its power would get shut off by the controller at 82.

This was a new tank setup so the water was rather cool and took a while to reach 78. But assuming the heater doesn’t malfunction or water doesnt get too warm due to room temperature, the controller should always have the power on and the heater power indicator lit.

So after a few hours, I noticed that the controllers heater power indicator was off but the temperature reading was 78.

Is there some kind of safety protection in the controller that would shut off power to its heater outlet after some continuous amount of time?

Could the controller be defective?

If I power the controller off and on, it resumes working normally.

I could set the controller so it only provides power when temperature is below 78 but is that as good as how I have it setup now? I guess either way works as long as either the heater thermostat or the controller is functioning correctly. Either way won’t help if boththe controller and heater are bad.

Thanks

7. Daltrey

Daltrey Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I changed over to Finnex Titanium after one of my 6 month old eheim jager heaters got condensation inside the glass. So far I’m really impressed.

8. mitch91175

mitch91175 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Just switched from Eheim to Finnex Titanium controlled via Apex and wish I had done it sooner. Temperature had been dropping recently due to colder weather in Texas and the Eheim just wasn't keeping up and I didn't want to run the heater in the house anymore trying to keep the temperature where I wanted it. I like the 78ish range and so far so good.

9. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Been using the same ViaAqua for the past 12 years. For my upgrade I bought a Jager, haven’t used it yet so no comment on longevity yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted