Heating large tanks with your gas hot water heater. Save 40% on energy cost!

justingraham

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Not enough led??

I just ment he ran his hot water to heat exchanger is copper pipe I have a long run so it will get expensive so I was hoping I could run that in pex but not risk anything
Pex led was supposed to be pex
Yes you can use pex but I can’t as I can’t fit enough pex in my sump to make the switch worth it

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

TomLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Pex led was supposed to be pex
Yes you can use pex but I can’t as I can’t fit enough pex in my sump to make the switch worth it

Oh ok gotcha but I wasn't putting the pex in my sump just wanted to use pex from hot water heater to my heat exchanger and didn't want to risk the growth of legonilla

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
I would assume that you could easily adapt them to a more standard fitting- I believe they are just flair nuts
How have the titanium heat exchangers held up. I think I heard somewhere that @Terence had his fail, and ended up with pex in his sump. I would like to do this, but am afraid of ebay heat exchangers failing.

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Mine is holding up perfectly still after about 2 years. After seeing DBR's update after he took it apart after 2 years and it looked like new I wasn't in a hurry to take mine apart to clean. I will be doing it in the next few months but I anticipate it to look brand new.

OP
DBR_Reef

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
How have the titanium heat exchangers held up. I think I heard somewhere that @Terence had his fail, and ended up with pex in his sump. I would like to do this, but am afraid of ebay heat exchangers failing.
Yeah, it looked brand new after 2 years. I’ve also done icp test and saw no metals, including titanium

mdc860

View Badges
Reaction score
Mine is holding up perfectly still after about 2 years. After seeing DBR's update after he took it apart after 2 years and it looked like new I wasn't in a hurry to take mine apart to clean. I will be doing it in the next few months but I anticipate it to look brand new.
Another plus is that after a water change, the coil warms up the water in the sump quickly, so that the temperature is right before I send the sump water back Through the system

Matt groves

View Badges
Reaction score
im not seeing what pump people are using for the tank side to get water back from the ex-changer to the tank- somewhere i read about head loss through the ex-changer being high--i under stand the distance from tank makes a difference just trying to see how long of runs people have and what pump is corresponding with it

Is it HARD or EASY for you to keep your corals colorful? (check all that apply)

• SPS Hard

Votes: 371 60.7%
  • SPS Easy

Votes: 153 25.0%
  • LPS Hard

Votes: 100 16.4%
  • LPS Easy

Votes: 406 66.4%
  • Zoas Hard

Votes: 61 10.0%
  • Zoas Easy

Votes: 406 66.4%