Heating water in mixing station - all the time heat?

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As were moving into the winter months here in the eastern states things are getting a bit chilly. I am someone who prefers to put multiple layers on and keep the house cold. As such if unheated, my mixing station water may sit around 58-62 degrees...yes I keep my house cold....I'm not home all too much due to work. My tanks are obviously constantly heated and fine. However, my mixing station water has made me think. Why keep my mixed water heated all the time vs just using the 4 spare heaters I have to bring the water up to temp when it is time for a change. Is there a benefit to keeping the water at temp all of the time? it leads to increased evaporation and gunk buildup on my mixing station. Is there an argument for keeping the water constantly warm?

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as nothing is precipitating out and it isn’t freezing then who cares. Also unless you are changing large amounts at once I wouldn’t even heat it before adding it anyways your in tank heaters should handle a small temp change from a small amount of water.

Upvote 0

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep it heated personally. I am not sure if a actual study has been done to a mixing tank that holds salt water, and has been run thru several drastic temp changes, has been done. Precipitation does happen, but at what rate and what temp, I am not sure. I would just stay to the side of caution and heat it.

Right now I am just using my mixing pump to heat up the water.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
asome_one

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep it heated personally. I am not sure if a actual study has been done to a mixing tank that holds salt water, and has been run thru several drastic temp changes, has been done. Precipitation does happen, but at what rate and what temp, I am not sure. I would just stay to the side of caution and heat it.
Does precipitation not occur faster in heated vs nonevaporating water?
As long as nothing is precipitating out and it isn’t freezing then who cares. Also unless you are changing large amounts at once I wouldn’t even heat it before adding it anyways your in tank heaters should handle a small temp change from a small amount of water.
And i change about 50% of my tank water at a time ( not a massive system) so I try to keep it within 2 degrees

Upvote 0

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And i change about 50% of my tank water at a time ( not a massive system) so I try to keep it within 2 degrees
Again, not sure if any study has actually been done on it. Precipitation not only has to do with the temp, it has to do with what salt you are using and what supplements you may be adding to the mix. ;)

Upvote 0

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok. So save some energy. Insulate the tank and use a small single heater and a mixing pump. The pump may make enough heat in a sealed insulated tank to keep the temperature.

Upvote 0

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is, I have a big enough tank and enough equipment that energy cost should not mean anything to me. I have a 225 gal tank upstairs and a 200 gal mixing station in the basement. I overlook the cost of energy for my tanks wellbeing. It actually cost me more to run my mixing pump to heat up my mixing tank, BUT, it mixes the water in the mixing container, and thus, I feel better knowing the water parameters have been equaled out thru the mixing process.

Upvote 0

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As were moving into the winter months here in the eastern states things are getting a bit chilly. I am someone who prefers to put multiple layers on and keep the house cold. As such if unheated, my mixing station water may sit around 58-62 degrees...yes I keep my house cold....I'm not home all too much due to work. My tanks are obviously constantly heated and fine. However, my mixing station water has made me think. Why keep my mixed water heated all the time vs just using the 4 spare heaters I have to bring the water up to temp when it is time for a change. Is there a benefit to keeping the water at temp all of the time? it leads to increased evaporation and gunk buildup on my mixing station. Is there an argument for keeping the water constantly warm?
Legit questions. Why spend money and waste heat if there is no need? Reading now to find out the verdict…

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back