Hello all, my 5 gallon nano

Welcome to R2R ! ! !

giphy (2) (1).gif
 
welcome

re; protein skimmers in a nano. I have a thread in the nano forum addressing this question. I recall we have posts with successful nanos with and without skimmers. The consensus is that water changes in a nano should be sufficient if you a trying to keep things simple. There a folks that have pretty tanks and pull a good deal of skimmate too.
My 2 cents, don't add anything to a tank unless you need to address a problem. If your tank is doing well without a skimmer, why add one?

I pulled my simmer on my 29 gal a year ago and haven't looked back. I have a HOB fuge packed with cheato and a DIY sump with a rubble rock with more cheato to encourage a lot of natural consumers of excess nutrients. I also don't mind a more natural looking tank so bit of algae on my rocks doesn't bother me. I just brush them with my water change and put a filter sock on the sump for a day or two.
 
Last edited:
welcome

re; protein skimmers in a nano. I have a thread in the nano forum addressing this question. I recall we have posts with successful nanos with and without skimmers. The consensus is that water changes in a nano should be sufficient if you a trying to keep things simple. There a folks that have pretty tanks and pull a good deal of skimmate too.
My 2 cents, don't add anything to a tank unless you need to address a problem. If your tank is doing well without a skimmer, why add one?

I pulled my simmer on my 29 gal a year ago and haven't looked back. I have a HOB fuge packed with cheato and a DIY sump with a rubble rock with more cheato to encourage a lot of natural consumers of excess nutrients. I also don't mind a more natural looking tank so bit of algae on my rocks doesn't bother me. I just brush them with my water change and out a filter sock on the sump for a day or two.
I agree
 
Hi and Welcome~
Can you provide some additional tank details? Lighting, water flow, substrate composition, etc oh and especially the livestock choices those are the most fun.

Of course! How could I forget haha,

I have fluval spec v 5gallon
Stock lighting 11,000k leds
I have the stock pump pointing directly at up at the surface and a hydor koralia nano power head pointing straight at the front glass.
Love carribean arragonite substrate
And 5 lbs of live rock

3 hermit crabs (2 red legged, one white legged)
3 Astrea snails
Skunk cleaner shrimp
2 false perc clowns (mated)
Seriatopora
Lobophyllia
Kenya tree
Torch
Mushroom
Acan
Duncan
Stylophora
Pulsing Xenia

All bought as tiny frags and have grown beautifully so far ()
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new