Hello everyone :D

EllaSophia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all fellow reef enthusiasts!!
My name is Ella and I’m brand spanking new here !!
Little bit about me:
I live in a small (not really rural just literally nothing to do here) town in NSW Australia,
I am 20 years old,
I am absolutely in love with reef tanks and have been since I was a wee lass!!
My favourite marine species would be....
hmm, a hard choice but my list includes:
Porcupine puffers, moorish idols, powder blue tangs, sea biscuit starfish and I have a weak spot for dwarf lion fish

At this moment in time I own two tanks!
My first tank is a 100L freshwater tank. My phat (fat with a p) bois live there, typical oriental goldfish who are BEAST! And some schooling white clouds. Gotta love a classic goldfish tank!!

Buttttttt my pride and joy is my 220L reef tank (not sure how many gallons tbh haha), and at this moment in time I have my Moorish idol best friend Scar living in there with his frenemy a purple dotty back called Grape!
I have only had this tank since early January, had it running (cycling) for THREE months before I even added anything! (Productive aren’t I )
I have approx 6 KGs of live rock in there and also 2 hammer head corals so far !!

Sadly, I was uniformed about ‘sump pumps’ when first setting up so I don’t have a sump on my tank (f up I know), my lfs didn’t really inform me too well about all this in the beginning so ....

Besides the point !

I have a question / problem...

Today I added in an extra hammerhead coral, and ever since doing so my buddy Scar has had white spots appear all over him... (obviously he has white spot)
He is still his usual self but my question/s are this:
*would this possible white spot outbreak be because of the new coral?

*i currently don’t have a qt tank (am working on getting one before adding more fish don’t worry!) so should I once purchased a qt tank put Scar in there for treatment or will it eventually pass??

*i have cupramine to treat him, if I added that directly into the tank would it harm the corals??

Yes, the elephant in the room is that as much as I hate to admit it I’m still a ‘newbie’ to this whole thing so its taking a hard bite at my pride asking for help butttt I am not risking scars life because of my ignorance !!!
All of my water parameters are fantastic btw!

So, much more experienced reefers.
PLEASE HELP MEEEEEE !!!!
Thank you in advance

Ps enjoy the pic of my pride and joy before I added any live stock :))))))

C539765D-A3DE-4664-91B1-4317EC884D54.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (1).gif
#WelcometoR2R

Yes cupramine directly into tank will kill corals and inverts. It must be dosed in a separate quarantine tank.
Corals and inverts cannot handle copper, it is a poison.

OP
OP
EllaSophia99

EllaSophia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (1).gif
#WelcometoR2R

Yes cupramine directly into tank will kill corals and inverts. It must be dosed in a separate quarantine tank.
Corals and inverts cannot handle copper, it is a poison.
I thought so!! Well thank you so much for the warning coz my dumb self would have added it directly to the tank!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so!! Well thank you so much for the warning coz my dumb self would have added it directly to the tank!!
No worries :) that's what we here for :) if you ever find yourself in need of help and its urgent just hashtag the reefsquad and our team of experts will come running with keyboards at the ready :)
#reefsquad

OP
OP
EllaSophia99

EllaSophia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries :) that's what we here for :) if you ever find yourself in need of help and its urgent just hashtag the reefsquad and our team of experts will come running with keyboards at the ready :)
#reefsquad
That’s so productive if you guys!! Thank you so much !! :)

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It’s possible you may have introduced ich with the new hammer, you wouldn’t want to medicate your display tank so a QT is in order.. be sure to check out the fish disease section of the forum.

C955920D-84C5-4694-AF14-674E563BF157.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%

Back