Hello from a total noob.

Kawika

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2020
Messages
80
Reaction score
91
Location
San Marcos, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers. My name is David and I have been lurking for a few days as I have a lot of free time in quarantine. I know absolutely nothing about reefing and my only experience with salt water was growing up my dad had a salt water fish tank. I recently became super passionate about fresh water planted tanks but seeing all the vibrant colors of coral sucked me in. I am in the beginning stages of planning my tank and my head is spinning with how much is involved. I came here to hopefully get a direction so I can make this dream a reality.
 
Welcome to R2R!!

4DD9FCA6-EF2E-4136-879D-8141FF784A6C.gif
 
welcome ... and dont be overwhelmed by everything you see here reefing can be as simple as you want it to be ... the 1st and most difficult thing amongst all reefers is how to setup your aquascape....its an art ...after that you need water at the correct salinity (mix salt in water check salinity level...done) ..very easy and it will have to be the right temperature (set you heater )...even easier! then comes a light (i recommend kessil they dont give my tank any (disco ball effect)) as simple as inserting a credit card # i also recomend an auto top off (this adds water to your tank so when your tank water evaporates out your auto top off will keep a consistant amount of water in your tank thus keeping your salinity stable and consistent ...cycle the tank test your ammonia nitrate nitrite once they reach acceptable levels add fish add coral etc perform an occasional water change ...and thats about it your keeping fish and coral ....id stick with soft coral until you got everything down ....if you have any questions hmu gl and happy reefing
 
Hello reefers. My name is David and I have been lurking for a few days as I have a lot of free time in quarantine. I know absolutely nothing about reefing and my only experience with salt water was growing up my dad had a salt water fish tank. I recently became super passionate about fresh water planted tanks but seeing all the vibrant colors of coral sucked me in. I am in the beginning stages of planning my tank and my head is spinning with how much is involved. I came here to hopefully get a direction so I can make this dream a reality.
welcome to the community. what size tank are you planning on setting up? any ideas you care to share or equipment that you might be thinking of getting?
 
Hello reefers. My name is David and I have been lurking for a few days as I have a lot of free time in quarantine. I know absolutely nothing about reefing and my only experience with salt water was growing up my dad had a salt water fish tank. I recently became super passionate about fresh water planted tanks but seeing all the vibrant colors of coral sucked me in. I am in the beginning stages of planning my tank and my head is spinning with how much is involved. I came here to hopefully get a direction so I can make this dream a reality.
Good luck. Don't be spending a lot on frags your first 6-8 months. There's a learning curve and best to accidentally kill cheap corals rather than the pricey ones. But it's an addicting hobby. Welcome to the club.
 
we all would be glad to help you get started off in the right direction. I agree with the above members.... patience is key! check out the 52 weeks of reefing from bulk reef supply. they are good way to wrap your head around things with this hobby.
 
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun!!!
pics!!...we all love pics!!!!
 
welcome to the community. what size tank are you planning on setting up? any ideas you care to share or equipment that you might be thinking of getting?
I am looking in the 40-50 gallon range. I love the Red Sea E-170 but that’s a substantial investment in something I don’t fully understand yet.
 
I am looking in the 40-50 gallon range. I love the Red Sea E-170 but that’s a substantial investment in something I don’t fully understand yet.
Understood. Nuvo has some decent setups as well for beginners.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new