Hello from a total noob.

Kawika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers. My name is David and I have been lurking for a few days as I have a lot of free time in quarantine. I know absolutely nothing about reefing and my only experience with salt water was growing up my dad had a salt water fish tank. I recently became super passionate about fresh water planted tanks but seeing all the vibrant colors of coral sucked me in. I am in the beginning stages of planning my tank and my head is spinning with how much is involved. I came here to hopefully get a direction so I can make this dream a reality.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

4DD9FCA6-EF2E-4136-879D-8141FF784A6C.gif

The cats wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome ... and dont be overwhelmed by everything you see here reefing can be as simple as you want it to be ... the 1st and most difficult thing amongst all reefers is how to setup your aquascape....its an art ...after that you need water at the correct salinity (mix salt in water check salinity level...done) ..very easy and it will have to be the right temperature (set you heater )...even easier! then comes a light (i recommend kessil they dont give my tank any (disco ball effect)) as simple as inserting a credit card # i also recomend an auto top off (this adds water to your tank so when your tank water evaporates out your auto top off will keep a consistant amount of water in your tank thus keeping your salinity stable and consistent ...cycle the tank test your ammonia nitrate nitrite once they reach acceptable levels add fish add coral etc perform an occasional water change ...and thats about it your keeping fish and coral ....id stick with soft coral until you got everything down ....if you have any questions hmu gl and happy reefing

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers. My name is David and I have been lurking for a few days as I have a lot of free time in quarantine. I know absolutely nothing about reefing and my only experience with salt water was growing up my dad had a salt water fish tank. I recently became super passionate about fresh water planted tanks but seeing all the vibrant colors of coral sucked me in. I am in the beginning stages of planning my tank and my head is spinning with how much is involved. I came here to hopefully get a direction so I can make this dream a reality.
welcome to the community. what size tank are you planning on setting up? any ideas you care to share or equipment that you might be thinking of getting?

ozborn99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. Don't be spending a lot on frags your first 6-8 months. There's a learning curve and best to accidentally kill cheap corals rather than the pricey ones. But it's an addicting hobby. Welcome to the club.

OP
OP
Kawika

Kawika

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the community. what size tank are you planning on setting up? any ideas you care to share or equipment that you might be thinking of getting?
I am looking in the 40-50 gallon range. I love the Red Sea E-170 but that’s a substantial investment in something I don’t fully understand yet.

Back