Hello from an 'accidental' tank owner.

icejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I have been considering getting into saltwater aquarium hobby for a longest time but due to budget constrictions that was not possible... until I managed to pick up 60 pounds of live rock, 30 pounds of dry rock, 10 gallons of crushed coral, JBJ nano cube HQI (28 gal) and bunch of other stuff for $150. Yes, miracles do happen :)

So, here I am completely out of my depth (coming from somebody who used to breed discus and angel fish) with half of my garage full of gear trying not to kill all this rock (SO says it is not possible to kill rocks and I wouldn't like to prove her wrong).
No idea what to do now and where to start - I guess I'll scrub and clean everything and aquascape some of this rock in the cube...

Anyway thanks for all the future advice on the process of keeping the rock alive (and hopefully thriving) and I will be starting a build thread soon.

Have a great afternoon everyone!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thanks for saying hello :)
tenor (4).gif
#WelcometoR2R

OP
OP
I

icejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! How are you storing the live rock?
Mixed some salt with (unfortunately tap [but filtered]) water and dumped all the rock in it at 78F with power head and heater going in Rubbermaid container.
Did not have time to buy RO water.
I will be picking all the rock I need for 28G tank today / tomorrow and probably dry store the rest of the rock until possible future use.
I do not have room of funds to run 60/90G tank to utilize all the rock.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I have been considering getting into saltwater aquarium hobby for a longest time but due to budget constrictions that was not possible... until I managed to pick up 60 pounds of live rock, 30 pounds of dry rock, 10 gallons of crushed coral, JBJ nano cube HQI (28 gal) and bunch of other stuff for $150. Yes, miracles do happen :)

So, here I am completely out of my depth (coming from somebody who used to breed discus and angel fish) with half of my garage full of gear trying not to kill all this rock (SO says it is not possible to kill rocks and I wouldn't like to prove her wrong).
No idea what to do now and where to start - I guess I'll scrub and clean everything and aquascape some of this rock in the cube...

Anyway thanks for all the future advice on the process of keeping the rock alive (and hopefully thriving) and I will be starting a build thread soon.

Have a great afternoon everyone!

Certainly fill the tank (leak check) before investing any time.

OP
OP
I

icejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly fill the tank (leak check) before investing any time.

I had fish for over 20 years. Never saltwater though. I remember the basics - check for leaks, damaged seals, electrical connections, take everything apart, clean and disinfect.
Exciting times.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had fish for over 20 years. Never saltwater though. I remember the basics - check for leaks, damaged seals, electrical connections, take everything apart, clean and disinfect.
Exciting times.

My point being that it would suck to spend all of those hours cleaning, disinfecting and assembling only to find the tank has a leak when you fill it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back