Hello from Charlotte, NC

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm coming back into the hobby after almost 20 years. It looks like it has changed A TON. I'm having a tank built by Glasscages for my office and am looking forward to picking it up soon. I plan on having mostly livestock with maybe some corals. I'm planning on doing a NSA aquascape with Marco rock and a 3" sand bed. I'm going with the Synergy Reef V2 Shadow Overflow and I'll be going with their TS-60 Triton Method Sump and an ATO. I'm planning on the Apex for peace of mind since it will be in the office waiting room and I won't be with it all of the time and I like the idea of notifications. Because it's in a public area the stand will have a canopy. I know what I want for most everything. What I could really use is some advice on the lighting. I know that I want LEDs, but there are so many options out there that I'm almost paralyzed by the variety. The tank is 72"L x 24"W x 31"H. I'm interested in thoughts about the lighting. Thanks!

69235.jpeg 69236.jpeg 69992.jpeg 69993.jpeg 69995.jpeg 69998.jpeg 180wide-std-can-side.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm coming back into the hobby after almost 20 years. It looks like it has changed A TON. I'm having a tank built by Glasscages for my office and am looking forward to picking it up soon. I plan on having mostly livestock with maybe some corals. I'm planning on doing a NSA aquascape with Marco rock and a 3" sand bed. I'm going with the Synergy Reef V2 Shadow Overflow and I'll be going with their TS-60 Triton Method Sump and an ATO. I'm planning on the Apex for peace of mind since it will be in the office waiting room and I won't be with it all of the time and I like the idea of notifications. Because it's in a public area the stand will have a canopy. I know what I want for most everything. What I could really use is some advice on the lighting. I know that I want LEDs, but there are so many options out there that I'm almost paralyzed by the variety. The tank is 72"L x 24"W x 31"H. I'm interested in thoughts about the lighting. Thanks!

69235.jpeg 69236.jpeg 69992.jpeg 69993.jpeg 69995.jpeg 69998.jpeg 180wide-std-can-side.jpg

Welcome and Welcome Back!

Everything you knew before still applies, so even though it seems like everything changed, it really hasn't - there are just more options. If you haven't yet found it in searching, then this is a great reference book type article (because books have started going away in past 20 years, too!):

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

EDIT: there is Forum section on lighting, and reposting your question there may get you better lighting response, but answer also depends on doing fish or corals (or anemones) with fish. If just fish, then almost anything literally will work.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

love your design @JXNATC

looking amazing. Thanks for allowing us to support your journey!

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome!!!

Back