Hello from Miami Lakes, FL

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, and welcome back to the best hobby!

A0D488AB-F0E4-4ED4-A073-1EFEE079B733.gif

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Returning to the reef hobby. Had a 90 gal corner tank with no overflow and poor lighting. My kids loved sitting with me and watching our own reef. But as explained the limited equipment and funds to improve soon became disappointing and frustrating. We recently purchased a Fluval Flex marine 32.5 gal tank. After setting up with live sand and a mixture of life and live rock, I changed the filtration system by adding 2 intank media baskets. The tank has finally cycled and I am in need of getting the right spectrum on the Fluval Marine 3.0 lighting that came with the tank. The light boast 25,000k and has an app to control the lighting spectrum. So far I am using a slightly modified preset, see attached. Now I am looking to add softies like shrooms, Xenia’, zoo‘s and I have been looking at a torch frag in my lfs. Now that I have briefed you all, I ask for any suggestions for improving the lighting. R2R has been highly rec’d for getting great input. I want to wow my kids again, who are now teens and young adults. Let me know if I need to give more details. I have read some threads on the Fluval Marine 3.0 lighting, but none who have this tank. I am also looking to add another light, which the hood allows a second light to be added, but Fluval has not released into production yet. In fact, this system is not even on there website yet. Thanks in advance, looking forward to your thoughts, comments and input.

9DC84189-120C-4312-948C-46AC2BB17D49.jpeg
Peter welcome to R2R. You're going to love it here. Lots of friend people and a great resource for information. I'm also in the 305 (miami) there is a reef club on here called 305 reef club. I just joined myself. To answer some of your questions I have the Fluval Marine evo it's a smaller version of what you have. It doesn't control the lights the way you can with yours but I do have a freshwater planted tank which I have two Fluval lighting which I also control with the app. You can better configure your setting using the pro vs the auto. You can really customize your set points for different times during the at different intensities. I can tell you that your setting right now are high if you are going to keep softies. 25k is awesome and at that intensity you can have some sps I know because my evo lighting also supports sps corals.
Good luck! Keep us posted on you tank.

OP
OP
Petermiamilakes

Petermiamilakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the warm welcome. This hobby is so relaxing. I work near fish collection in Miami (sad they are closing their doors) and go there whenever I get a few minutes just to look and learn. Seems every time I leave, I feel like I’m missing something. Thanks again for the welcome.

OP
OP
Petermiamilakes

Petermiamilakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome... need more info, like how long has tank been running, when it cycled and what livestock is in it?
Running a little over a month, cycled over a week ago.
inverts: Have blue and red legged hermit crabs, astraea snails, a couple of turbo snails (had the lights running to long). A conch ( I like about an inch plus sand bed)
fish: a couple of clowns (families favorite), a couple of med pajamas, a diamond goby and a royal gramma.
coral: feather duster, Xenia’s, the live rock came with a sponge which seems to have died, but starting to recoupe. a couple of mushrooms, a ricordea, sm green star polys a fist size zoo rock with clams and muscles and a torch frag.
All seem to be doing great. Water parameters are on point. I only have 3 med rocks (1 live 2 life, but has been seeded in circulated salt water at lps).

OP
OP
Petermiamilakes

Petermiamilakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peter welcome to R2R. You're going to love it here. Lots of friend people and a great resource for information. I'm also in the 305 (miami) there is a reef club on here called 305 reef club. I just joined myself. To answer some of your questions I have the Fluval Marine evo it's a smaller version of what you have. It doesn't control the lights the way you can with yours but I do have a freshwater planted tank which I have two Fluval lighting which I also control with the app. You can better configure your setting using the pro vs the auto. You can really customize your set points for different times during the at different intensities. I can tell you that your setting right now are high if you are going to keep softies. 25k is awesome and at that intensity you can have some sps I know because my evo lighting also supports sps corals.
Good luck! Keep us posted on you tank.
I love the Evo. My friend has one at the office, it’s got a 14k, but shimmers nicer than my flex along the sand bed. I will look at the pro vs the auto. I also want to change the setting to start later so I can enjoy at night, I get home late. I was actually thinking of adding another light as, like I mentioned the Evo seems to shimmer since it’s a little shallower. I will look into 305 Reef. Thanks for the input.

Back