Hello from north of Toronto

BarrieNoob

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2021
Messages
12
Reaction score
14
Location
Barrie, Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, here goes.

I have little more than an idea-explosion making waves across my mind and it is saying, "build a low-tech cube or lagoon reef." I want to build an aquarium from scratch but then I look at these AIO aquariums available left and right across several price points and my dreams become fuzzy. Is my simple idea too complex to approach without a thorough foundation in aquarium maintenance? I know I need something to put water in and in my mindspace it is between 10-20 gallons, ideally a 20 gallon shallow reef tank. I know it needs a good light, a heater, some live sand and I personally like the look of dry rock held together with some epoxy and saltwater. After this I don't really know how to take my ambition and make it support life. with the exception of needing to a cycle an empty tank for 6 weeks or so first. Though really, I first have to get the glass box and that's where I'm stuck. I don't know enough about glass to to discern between brand names apart from looking at how thick and heavy said glass may be. I know TopFin, Fluval, Aquareon are easy to come across in any given chain store in Barrie. I think I want an IM or Redsea, but IM doesn't have a 20 gallon lagoon in Toronto and RedSea comes with stands that I won't want or use. Anyway...

Hello & Talk Later for Now

Jess
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif
 
Welcome to the salty side and to the community. It's nice to see another Ontarian in the club. :-) To answer your question, if you don't find a stock tank in the dimensions you want then you have three options: 1. Do a custom build, 2. Go with a stock tank that is the closest in size to what you originally wanted, 3. Check the selling forums on here or other local aquarium sites/clubs and sites like Kijiji. Did you check Big Al's?

I look forward to seeing what your build (whatever you decide). :-)
 
Welcome to R2R, think out your plan, do your homework and go for it .
Simple as that.
Your vision and approach is as unique as the next hobbyist.
Good luck with your build!!!
ZomboMeme 19072021194517.jpg
 
Right, here goes.

I have little more than an idea-explosion making waves across my mind and it is saying, "build a low-tech cube or lagoon reef." I want to build an aquarium from scratch but then I look at these AIO aquariums available left and right across several price points and my dreams become fuzzy. Is my simple idea too complex to approach without a thorough foundation in aquarium maintenance? I know I need something to put water in and in my mindspace it is between 10-20 gallons, ideally a 20 gallon shallow reef tank. I know it needs a good light, a heater, some live sand and I personally like the look of dry rock held together with some epoxy and saltwater. After this I don't really know how to take my ambition and make it support life. with the exception of needing to a cycle an empty tank for 6 weeks or so first. Though really, I first have to get the glass box and that's where I'm stuck. I don't know enough about glass to to discern between brand names apart from looking at how thick and heavy said glass may be. I know TopFin, Fluval, Aquareon are easy to come across in any given chain store in Barrie. I think I want an IM or Redsea, but IM doesn't have a 20 gallon lagoon in Toronto and RedSea comes with stands that I won't want or use. Anyway...

Hello & Talk Later for Now

Jess
 

Attachments

  • 70433.png
    70433.png
    57 KB · Views: 94
Right, here goes.

I have little more than an idea-explosion making waves across my mind and it is saying, "build a low-tech cube or lagoon reef." I want to build an aquarium from scratch but then I look at these AIO aquariums available left and right across several price points and my dreams become fuzzy. Is my simple idea too complex to approach without a thorough foundation in aquarium maintenance? I know I need something to put water in and in my mindspace it is between 10-20 gallons, ideally a 20 gallon shallow reef tank. I know it needs a good light, a heater, some live sand and I personally like the look of dry rock held together with some epoxy and saltwater. After this I don't really know how to take my ambition and make it support life. with the exception of needing to a cycle an empty tank for 6 weeks or so first. Though really, I first have to get the glass box and that's where I'm stuck. I don't know enough about glass to to discern between brand names apart from looking at how thick and heavy said glass may be. I know TopFin, Fluval, Aquareon are easy to come across in any given chain store in Barrie. I think I want an IM or Redsea, but IM doesn't have a 20 gallon lagoon in Toronto and RedSea comes with stands that I won't want or use. Anyway...

Hello & Talk Later for Now

Jess

Hi Jess and Welcome!

Sounds like you are having fun planning. Don't feel the need to rush it. It is hard with many good options out there. I was lucky and just found something used so it made a number of decisions for me.

This is a good reference book type online article I still refer:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/
Happy Reefing & Happy Dreaming & Planning!
 
Right, here goes.

I have little more than an idea-explosion making waves across my mind and it is saying, "build a low-tech cube or lagoon reef." I want to build an aquarium from scratch but then I look at these AIO aquariums available left and right across several price points and my dreams become fuzzy. Is my simple idea too complex to approach without a thorough foundation in aquarium maintenance? I know I need something to put water in and in my mindspace it is between 10-20 gallons, ideally a 20 gallon shallow reef tank. I know it needs a good light, a heater, some live sand and I personally like the look of dry rock held together with some epoxy and saltwater. After this I don't really know how to take my ambition and make it support life. with the exception of needing to a cycle an empty tank for 6 weeks or so first. Though really, I first have to get the glass box and that's where I'm stuck. I don't know enough about glass to to discern between brand names apart from looking at how thick and heavy said glass may be. I know TopFin, Fluval, Aquareon are easy to come across in any given chain store in Barrie. I think I want an IM or Redsea, but IM doesn't have a 20 gallon lagoon in Toronto and RedSea comes with stands that I won't want or use. Anyway...

Hello & Talk Later for Now

Jess
Welcome to Da Reef!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new