Hello from north of Toronto

BarrieNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, here goes.

I have little more than an idea-explosion making waves across my mind and it is saying, "build a low-tech cube or lagoon reef." I want to build an aquarium from scratch but then I look at these AIO aquariums available left and right across several price points and my dreams become fuzzy. Is my simple idea too complex to approach without a thorough foundation in aquarium maintenance? I know I need something to put water in and in my mindspace it is between 10-20 gallons, ideally a 20 gallon shallow reef tank. I know it needs a good light, a heater, some live sand and I personally like the look of dry rock held together with some epoxy and saltwater. After this I don't really know how to take my ambition and make it support life. with the exception of needing to a cycle an empty tank for 6 weeks or so first. Though really, I first have to get the glass box and that's where I'm stuck. I don't know enough about glass to to discern between brand names apart from looking at how thick and heavy said glass may be. I know TopFin, Fluval, Aquareon are easy to come across in any given chain store in Barrie. I think I want an IM or Redsea, but IM doesn't have a 20 gallon lagoon in Toronto and RedSea comes with stands that I won't want or use. Anyway...

Hello & Talk Later for Now

Jess

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and to the community. It's nice to see another Ontarian in the club. :) To answer your question, if you don't find a stock tank in the dimensions you want then you have three options: 1. Do a custom build, 2. Go with a stock tank that is the closest in size to what you originally wanted, 3. Check the selling forums on here or other local aquarium sites/clubs and sites like Kijiji. Did you check Big Al's?

I look forward to seeing what your build (whatever you decide). :)

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, here goes.

I have little more than an idea-explosion making waves across my mind and it is saying, "build a low-tech cube or lagoon reef." I want to build an aquarium from scratch but then I look at these AIO aquariums available left and right across several price points and my dreams become fuzzy. Is my simple idea too complex to approach without a thorough foundation in aquarium maintenance? I know I need something to put water in and in my mindspace it is between 10-20 gallons, ideally a 20 gallon shallow reef tank. I know it needs a good light, a heater, some live sand and I personally like the look of dry rock held together with some epoxy and saltwater. After this I don't really know how to take my ambition and make it support life. with the exception of needing to a cycle an empty tank for 6 weeks or so first. Though really, I first have to get the glass box and that's where I'm stuck. I don't know enough about glass to to discern between brand names apart from looking at how thick and heavy said glass may be. I know TopFin, Fluval, Aquareon are easy to come across in any given chain store in Barrie. I think I want an IM or Redsea, but IM doesn't have a 20 gallon lagoon in Toronto and RedSea comes with stands that I won't want or use. Anyway...

Jess

Attachments

• 70433.png
    70433.png
    57 KB · Views: 37

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, here goes.

Jess

Hi Jess and Welcome!

Sounds like you are having fun planning. Don't feel the need to rush it. It is hard with many good options out there. I was lucky and just found something used so it made a number of decisions for me.

This is a good reference book type online article I still refer:

Happy Reefing & Happy Dreaming & Planning!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, here goes.

Jess
Welcome to Da Reef!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back