Hello from SW London

Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind words.

The most important thing is that my son just loves his marine tank. Occellaris clownfish might be the most obvious choice as first fish for a reef tank but they are simply iconic. They look so amazing and have such a bold personality.

What I’m most pleased about is my son is already appreciating the corals. Last night we all enjoyed the tank under blue lights. My wife called it “mesmerising”.

Good times ahead
 
Welcome to R2R! That is a heart-warming story.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
 
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the marine hobby and after reading here for a few months, I joined yesterday.

"No Nemo for us"
So, how did I get here? I had to give up my job to become my autistic son's carer. He was going through a tough time so I thought a little slice of river bank in our living room would be a riveting distraction. My son was really into the aquascaping and planting but when we went to get fish at the Aquatic Design Centre in Balham he gravitated to the marine section. I had to explain that we had a freshwater tank and Nemo needed a whole new tank... and marine tanks are really expensive and very difficult.

When we got back he said the above to his mother.

Every time we visited ADC he only had eyes for Nemo. The only benefit of my current situation is that I have a lot of time on my hands. So I started reading this forum, watching videos on Youtube and slowly did my research.

On 6th July (his birthday) we went to ADC to pick up two Nemos. So, as well as a "Hello" I'd like to add a very heartfelt thank you for all of you on this forum that made our son very happy.
Welcome and hope your son loves his new fish - from another parent to an autistic son with an affinity for all things ocean!
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef! It's awesome to read that this hobby is benefiting your son and no doubt making an even stronger bond between you two!
PXL_20240802_205351644.MP~2.jpg
Thank you so much. I'm so pleased how involved he is with everything. The kid loves a water change and water parameter testing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new