Hello from Toronto, Canada

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH look one of your peeps!

Another Canadian Eh? Something I'm seeing more and more lately which is fantastic! Welcome @Sordfish to R2R! I hope you enjoy the vast wealth of information here and you share your new build with us in the members tanks forum. Also feel free to ask any questions you might have in the appropriate forum as well. If you have a question I might suggest using the search function on the home page first. Odds are if you have a question it has been asked 100 times before :p

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Canuck. You're in one of the best provinces for reefing up North, lots of good vendors around TO.
Agreed. I consider myself very lucky. We can get almost anything locally, typically from multiple vendors. I think part of the reason we have such a great selection of lfs in the area is that online trade of live stock is not that prevalent in Canada. Though I have to admit I am still suffering from sticker price shock when it comes to saltwater tanks - and I haven’t even bought livestock yet. Plants are sooooo much cheaper than corals and you can by entire schools of freshwater fish for the cost of one marine counterpart.

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I took the welcome message’s advice and created this thread to introduce myself. I have been doing planted tanks for several years now and finally got the bug to do a saltwater tank. Since November I have been collecting bits and pieces to set one up. As I was almost ready in June, all my freshwater fish died due to a CO2 tank valve malfunction- I woke up Father’s Day to a tank full of dead fish. I paused for couple of months to rethink what to do, and decided to push on. I’ll create a journal to track my progress and get everyone’s inputs. Look forward to sharing my progress.
Hello from Toronto! Great to see another local member :)

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Canadian Eh? Something I'm seeing more and more lately which is fantastic! Welcome @Sordfish to R2R! I hope you enjoy the vast wealth of information here and you share your new build with us in the members tanks forum. Also feel free to ask any questions you might have in the appropriate forum as well. If you have a question I might suggest using the search function on the home page first. Odds are if you have a question it has been asked 100 times before :p
Thanks. I look forward to learning from the forum and the forum members.

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome friendly!!
2D802038-FDA0-4923-95B8-7F83F5A4247A.gif

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I consider myself very lucky. We can get almost anything locally, typically from multiple vendors. I think part of the reason we have such a great selection of lfs in the area is that online trade of live stock is not that prevalent in Canada. Though I have to admit I am still suffering from sticker price shock when it comes to saltwater tanks - and I haven’t even bought livestock yet. Plants are sooooo much cheaper than corals and you can by entire schools of freshwater fish for the cost of one marine counterpart.
Just some advice, but your market has so many local frag sellers that you won't ever have to touch a LFS / online vendor and pay retail, aside from some imported LPS that can't be fragged or crazy SPS. There are a couple facebook groups and one external forum that's specifically for the GTA.

Some don't like that but the hobby is expensive enough, especially when you're new.

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montreal is checking in too!
Welcome.
Hello. Love Montreal. We take an annual weekend family vacation there every summer. In fact I bought the tank and the stand I am setting up from a Montreal LFS. Though it was meant for freshwater I am repurposing it as a saltwater tank by adding an HOB overflow.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Love Montreal. We take an annual weekend family vacation there every summer. In fact I bought the tank and the stand I am setting up from a Montreal LFS. Though it was meant for freshwater I am repurposing it as a saltwater tank by adding an HOB overflow.
Nice! Which store? Next time you're down you should check out Raging Reef, if you haven't already. You're sure to get a good dose of sticker shock there, but then again he deals largely in high-end and harder to find stuff mostly.

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some advice, but your market has so many local frag sellers that you won't ever have to touch a LFS / online vendor and pay retail, aside from some imported LPS that can't be fragged or crazy SPS. There are a couple facebook groups and one external forum that's specifically for the GTA.

Some don't like that but the hobby is expensive enough, especially when you're new.
You are right. I bought a lot of my saltwater equipment used from local classifieds. I also buy plants that way - get access to a wide variety of rare plants through other hobbiests. I have to admit I am a bit hesitant re purchasing livestock that way. I have been reading so much re how problematic hitchhikers are in the marine hobby that it gives me a pause. I’ll have to research this more on the forum and ask e other people’s advice in that before going that route. But I am months away from that. I haven’t yet added water to the tank so I have the cycling wait ahead of me.

OP
OP
Sordfish

Sordfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Which store? Next time you're down you should check out Raging Reef, if you haven't already. You're sure to get a good dose of sticker shock there, but then again he deals largely in high-end and harder to find stuff mostly.
A store called Aquasense Workshop. It is a freshwater store. I’ll check out Raging Reef when I am there next summer.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip every frag you buy, and don't hesitate to not buy something if you show up and their tank looks completely awful or pest ridden. Local reputation means a lot in this niche hobby.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back