Hello from Utah:)

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet Forum' started by Psylacus, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Psylacus

Psylacus Member

Hey folks!

So new to the forum and starting my salt water adventure.

Background about me - I work for a gaming computer company and we ship computers all over the world and I manage the chaos :).
    Anyway, I have a 46 gallon bow front tank that I have had for 6 years with very little hoopla and its been great!. I also have a 5000 gallon koi pond out back with tons of fish and awesome rock scaping with a water fall I hand built (82k pounds of rock just to get an idea LOL).

Anyway SOOooOO. Starting my salt water tank in my general style - I am captain overkill.
    So I have been hunting the sales thread in Utah and found a 300 gallon Deep Dimension starphire glass tank from a guy who was moving to his new custom built 500 gallon.

So I had it brought in last night and I am still on the hunt for a 120 gallon sump tank that I am going to build. Also I am going to build a stand for it out of wood as well. The idea here is its on a wall facing my cold storage room which I currently breed roses in and will soon have my aquarium stuff in it :).
    The front of the stand will also house 2 Wine fridges in it and such since the back side of the wall is where i will put all the guts of it.

So this is where it starts, over the next you week I will build a stand for the beast and then con some beefy friends to come help me lift it.

Next piece, what kind of tank am I going for? Well I want it to be a reef tank so coral of all sorts is the goal. I know that limits some of my fish options but with 300 gallons + 120 gallon sump + maybe a 55ish refugium - I think i can have some pretty cool stuff. My tank is very wide being almost 3 feet back and 2 feet tall.

So basically now I need some help into advise on how to set this thing up. Price really isn't to much of an issue (not saying I want to buy the most expensive of everything - but still I am in no rush and want to do it right). I think I want to use an APEX, I do tend to travel for a week or two at a time which means I need to be able to be notified if things go south. I will have a camera hooked up to view it as well. I am a tech nut - I hand built a chicken coop with cameras/ automated feeders/heaters/doors/cameras and waterers.

Anyway so first step is getting the parts for the tank. Below is a link you can comment on if you feel like it :)!!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FP-cMuNx20THZrUJP4P1B_PrwZea6UJLoZ5wmfddEcA/edit?usp=sharing

Hope this was a good start to what I am trying to do and about me. Thanks!!!!

2. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader MTRCMember R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Pumped up for you!!!

Thanks for signing up, sharing and welcome to Reef 2 Reef :)

kireek, dbl, Crabs Mcjones and 2 others like this.
  3. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R! :D

kireek, dbl, Crabs Mcjones and 2 others like this.
  4. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Moderator With Training Wheels Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R!! welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif tenor.gif

kireek, GoVols, dbl and 1 other person like this.
  5. KJ

KJ Road Warrior R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader ETRC Member R2R Excellence Award

Welcome to R2R!!!

6. zack801

zack801 Active Member

From Utah as well! Welcome!

7. Psylacus

Psylacus Member

The few the proud the "From Utah". LOL

8. Psylacus

Psylacus Member

Ok updated the chart with the suggestions from above, thank you and keep them coming!

GoVols likes this.
  9. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Welcome home, you will love it here!

I too, overkill everything! “Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!”

Keep us posted with that build with LOTS of pics! :)

kireek, zack801, GoVols and 1 other person like this.
  10. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family.

kireek and GoVols like this.
  11. Psylacus

Psylacus Member

Will do, I will get lots of pictures. I posted in another thread for help on some equipment. Thanks everyone.

12. kireek

kireek PLANESWALKER R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

dbl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted