Hello, new to reefing, looking forward to learning

Ottoson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, completely new to reefing but hoping to learn and expand my knowledge. I had enjoyed freshwater for 10yrs but saltwater is just stunning. This little set up I started working on about 3 months ago (getting all the equipment) and was able to get it filled, leak tested, and started the cycle on 6/30 with Brightwell aquatics XLM/Microbactr7 (using ammonia drops to fuel). Got the live rock from LFS tank 3 weeks in to cycle. As of today the tank is just a little over 2 months old.

Current Set up Include:
- 25G cube Mr.Aqua tank (18 x 18 x18) that I drilled for a Eshopps external overflow
- "seeded" Live rock from LFS in their tank
- Aqua Forest Sand (I soaked for 24 in benificial bacteria)
- Aquamax Af-1 Protein Skimmer
- 1 inch return bulkhead with the spin stream nozzle (just rotates with water pressure of pump)
- Red Sea ATO
- Trigger System 20G Sump and 5g ATO container
- Fluval M200 Heater (submurged sideways)
- Fluval Bio FX media
- amazon grow light (for chaeto I was hoping would help keep ammonia levels low)
- Sicche SDC 3.0 (400-800GPH)
- Sicche nano powerhead (248gph)
- Kessil a160we

Total volume of the tank is about 40G (25 display and about 15G in the sump)

I have not turned the light on very much, just during feeding so I can see them better, the tank is not in direct sunlight but gets good ambient light from window.

I added a jar of the galaxy copepods from algae barn into a small breeder tank I hanged on the back and put some of chaeto, was trying to seed the tank and give them a opportunity to overflow into the tank, was squeezing a small amount of seachem reef phyto into the breeder box every 2 days to help them grow, I just thought if I put them in the sump they might not get back to the tank, not too sure how well its working yet, but can see copepods on the chaeto after a month or adding.

After 1 month with no fish I checked parameter's and they were good so I did a 4g water change and added the larger maroon clownfish, fed twice daily and then 2 weeks later I did another 4g water change and added the second one, after a couple days they stay close to each other and the small one shakes on the large one often (not sure if that means they are fully bonded yet but it looks like a good sign/ no aggression towards each other)

I have been feeding frozen mega marine, live brine shrimp soaked in Selcon, and nyos sweet algae pellets, alternating twice daily (morning and later in the day)

I am aware the maroon clownfish can get quite large and are pretty aggressive so my plan with this tank is to have no other inhabitants, wait about 6-7 months and then add a bubble tip anemone to the tank and hope it settle on the middle of the rock, , no corals or other fish, seeing a pair of clownfish host a anemone is what I'm hoping.

Could I add a fire or cleaner shrimp to the tank? sometimes the pellets drop to the sand bed and they aren't interested in it after that.

Would this tank be okay for this pair if its just them and a bubble tip anemone down the line? I hear they need a minimum of 30 some say 25, but I figured if its just them with a anemone they could live happy and healthy long term?

I also attached a water test from this morning, I just did another 4g water change 2 days ago, salinity is sitting at 1.024. Also, its hard to see in the picture but there is small hair algae growing on the rock and a decent amount of brown diatoms on the sand bed. I haven't seen any ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites since the first month. I have some red sea carbon in a little mesh bag as well. The protein skimmer says minimum is 30G, it is doing a good job removing waste but I have heard overcleaning a tank is a thing?

Running the pump at around 65% and it goes down to 55% at night on a "slow current" pulsing mode.

going to work on cable management as well to tidy things up a bit, trying to clean salt creep every other day and I have been adding a cap of Brightwell XLM everyday

Very open to advice and constructive criticism, also just wanted to introduce myself and get involved in the community

Thanks for reading,
Otto

20230803_111529.jpg
20230803_111439.jpg
20230803_111508.jpg
20230803_111423.jpg
20230803_111456.jpg
Water changed 832023.jpg

20230803_111510.jpg 20230803_111450.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Otto
Get those clowns some cover to hide in down lower in the tank, nearer the live rock.
Some folks have used fake (plastic) anemone or other stuff. It will help the fishes to relax in the tank. Right now they are struggling to hide under the ledge on the back, that takes a lot of energy.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Maroons may eventually get too large to be comfortable in a 25 but they will probably be fine. If you are planning to add a bubble tip down the road I personally would avoid the shrimp. Your set up look nice. Good start.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Tank looks amazing already.

Seeing you already started some cheato, just wanted to mention to keep a close eye on your nitrates and phosphates to not bottom them out to zero.

I started with a way too clean tank as well which resulted in battling dinos for months. Adjust your filtration based on the trend of your nitrates and phosphates and not the other way around.

Enjoy your reefing adventure!

OP
OP
Ottoson

Ottoson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Otto
Get those clowns some cover to hide in down lower in the tank, nearer the live rock.
Some folks have used fake (plastic) anemone or other stuff. It will help the fishes to relax in the tank. Right now they are struggling to hide under the ledge on the back, that takes a lot of energy.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Hi thank you for your insight and for letting me know, I definitely want to get that sorted out soon,

I was looking at something like this but didn't like the frag holes if I am not going to use them.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/purp...D=6606&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

I will look into plastic anemone for now, do you have any recommendations?

OP
OP
Ottoson

Ottoson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Tank looks amazing already.

Seeing you already started some cheato, just wanted to mention to keep a close eye on your nitrates and phosphates to not bottom them out to zero.

I started with a way too clean tank as well which resulted in battling dinos for months. Adjust your filtration based on the trend of your nitrates and phosphates and not the other way around.

Enjoy your reefing adventure!
Thank you so much for the input, I will definitely adjust accordingly

OP
OP
Ottoson

Ottoson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Maroons may eventually get too large to be comfortable in a 25 but they will probably be fine. If you are planning to add a bubble tip down the road I personally would avoid the shrimp. Your set up look nice. Good start.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg
I will keep that in mind, really appreciate your input, do you have any recommendations for cleaner invertebrate that would work in this system? Turbo snails? thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back