Hello!

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Just filled out my application and paid for the membership dues. Excited there are so many reefers in CT! Just writing to say hello. I've been in the hobby since I was 7 and between keeping fish and diving, I've had a wealth of experince in the hobby and am looking forward to meeting all of you.

If you read my post in the 180+ thread this will be a repeat, but I just cleaned up a tank seal failure on a 300G DD from Marineland. It took out 3 rooms in my second floor in early Sept. Devastating. Just got everything back to normal. Will be posting the rebuild of that down the road. Plan is for a 300g DD in my basement.

Currently I'm in the infancy of restoring my 93 gallon DD cube for my second floor fish room so I will be posting that progress shortly. Will be plumbed to my basement with a rubbermaid 100 gallon as a sump with a 20 gallon refugium. I'll post pics of the restoration as I go along.

Hello out there to all of the reefers in CT!

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! You've made a great decision and the $20 is worth it's weight in gold. It's nice to know there are people as crazy addicted to this stuff. I hope to see you at our December meeting. I'm on here almost everyday, having access to the forum on my phone makes it impossible to stay away from !
If you need anything just post and someone usually has the information or tool or elbow grease you need! It's all about paying it forward here. I love when I get the opportunity to pay forward to others the way so many have helped me!

So how can we make sure our tanks aren't going to have a seal failure ? Sounds like an awful experience :(

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned for 15 months before we out anything into play for such an enormous build. After 6 days of water in the tank the right bottom seal gave way. No cracks in the tank once everything was removed. It was a brand new marineland tank. Unfortunaltely did not appear to be error on my part which made me feel somewhat better. But can't risk that kind of catastrophe on a main floor. Going to take my dad's 300 gallon and build it as a back bar in my basement. That's at least a year away though. I have to prepare the space first. The room upstairs is essentially designed around having a fish tank so we are going to put up my 93 gallon DD. Stay tuned. I'm close to getting that one up and running!

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the DD stand for? My head instantly thinks Dunkin donuts...

This may seem like a silly question but does Marineland offer any time of insurance for cleanup? I thought they were the go-to for tanks 100-300 gallons. A seal bursting on a brand new tank is just unacceptable and negligent on there part. God forbid a child was looking up at the tank.

Where in CT are ya?

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD stands for deep dimension. They were willing to give me a new tank, but as I did more research, I found out that multiple 150-300g DD marineland tanks had similar issues. Also the company no longer exists and is taken over by someone else, although the name escapes me. Luckily my home owner's insurance paid everything. I had to replace three wood floors.

OP
OP
svogun

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I'm in Wallingford. Check out Headie Corals in North Haven if you are in the area. Jeff and Kirk are great LFS owners.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back