Hello

FerociousPuggle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I’m new to Reef 2 Reef, new to posting threads on forums, and most importantly new to reef aquariums! You could say I’m the newbiest of newbs. I’m reaching out for my first post to ask about the plumbing on my first ever tank. I have a 75Gallon tank and unfortunately it’s not drilled for plumbing so I’m using an external overflow box. I’ve dry fit together my attempt at the plumbing of both the drain line and the return line and wanted feedback on if it looks OK and what I could do to improve it before I seal the pipes together. Anything helps and Thank you in advance!

850A90DD-8F95-426B-AE53-3766AA532657.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks ok depending on how your trying to set it up.

I see a few ball valves which is good, and put them or gate valves wherever you might need to take something off for maintenance, control flow etc., as it will make things much easier.

You might find this useful as well, and anything else just ask

And Welcome to R2R!!!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening and welcome

Things looking good. My few thoughts. With only one drain line I would not have a valve. If there is enough room there I would see if a union could fit. This way you could take the box off if needed. Not sure you need that clean out fitting on the return and you would want a union on the return as well. Final thought would be to make sure to brace the pipes the the stand with clamps for safety..

Read thru the attached thread spr attached and it will look great

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPR1968 Nailed it on the head!! Run over to this thread as it has a TON of great information as well:

More info here: http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aquarium-plumbing-basics/

I wish I would have added a manifold for new equipment on mine, as when I add equipment I will have to tear apart one of my return lines. Also I used the Metal Clamps and they rusted in mater of months so whatever you are going to place them on make sure they are far away from any water as you don't want any of that rust/metal in your tanks! TRUST ME!

Hope that helps a little!! You are on the right track and welcome to R2R!!!
Golden-Magicarp.gif

Last edited:

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Mastiffsrule. Having a valve on a single drain is just asking for trouble.
You could do with a check valve at the base of the vertical run of your return. Opinions vary. You can't rely on them, but it could save a mess.

I like how you've gone from the pump to the hard plumbing with some soft tubing! Someone has been doing their research ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back