OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update, I stopped H2O2 dips, i have been doing a double dose of iodine every night for the past two nights. No more brown sludge or flesh is being expelled from the coral. It looked decent this morning even though the lights were off, hopefully when I come home today, everything will be fine. Planning on doing one more iodine dip, and after this, I hope it means that coral has recovered.

Djhype97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the elegance doing? I’m going through a similar issue with an elegance I put in my tank over a week ago. It was opened and happy for about a week and the past couple of days it’s looked like one of your pics. Thanks to your post, I’ll be trying to dip it when I get home and hope for the best.

OP
OP
VSVP bet

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the elegance doing? I’m going through a similar issue with an elegance I put in my tank over a week ago. It was opened and happy for about a week and the past couple of days it’s looked like one of your pics. Thanks to your post, I’ll be trying to dip it when I get home and hope for the best.

The hydrogen peroxide definitely worked, no more brown jelly and it has completely recovered. I got the idea to dip h2o2 from another thread, where someone was fighting BJD on a duncan colony... I will try to find and link it. When your elegance looked like mine, was there brown jelly and slime? My elegance was in the tank for 2 years with no issues, wondering if it took the h202 dips so well because it was very healthy(before the infection). My only concern about dipping a new coral would be further stressing it out, potentially to the point of death... However, if it has an infection, you have to do what you have to do. Could you post pics of it later and give me info about your tank, maybe I can help you out.

Edit: It is difficult to see where the coral has the infection because elegance love to close up when stressed. However, when turkey bastering it, some of the flesh would fold back, and I noticed a finger nail sized hole down to the skeleton inside the coral, near the elegance's mouth. I assumed this is where the infection started, and as no more brown jelly appeared, the coral started to secrete a dense white string almost (almost looked like the stingers lobos have when attacking a near by coral). Anyway, it started to cover the 'hole,' I assumed it was a scab of sorts and did not attempt to remove this white.

Last edited:

Djhype97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydrogen peroxide definitely worked, no more brown jelly and it has completely recovered. I got the idea to dip h2o2 from another thread, where someone was fighting BJD on a duncan colony... I will try to find and link it. When your elegance looked like mine, was there brown jelly and slime? My elegance was in the tank for 2 years with no issues, wondering if it took the h202 dips so well because it was very healthy(before the infection). My only concern about dipping a new coral would be further stressing it out, potentially to the point of death... However, if it has an infection, you have to do what you have to do. Could you post pics of it later and give me info about your tank, maybe I can help you out.

Edit: It is difficult to see where the coral has the infection because elegance love to close up when stressed. However, when turkey bastering it, some of the flesh would fold back, and I noticed a finger nail sized hole down to the skeleton inside the coral, near the elegance's mouth. I assumed this is where the infection started, and as no more brown jelly appeared, the coral started to secrete a dense white string almost (almost looked like the stingers lobos have when attacking a near by coral). Anyway, it started to cover the 'hole,' I assumed it was a scab of sorts and did not attempt to remove this white.

Thanks for allowing me to share VSVP. Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture of it last night, but here is what it looked like when I came home: (sorry for the horrible quality)
ef7c4fb9c030356dd187a26c055f2681.jpg

I didn’t have any h202 on hand so I dipped it in Seachem Reef dip with the recommended dose for about 5-10 minutes. I did notice some slime like substance come off while turkey bastering it.
4c3efa31d75ab432ae9771ecee78fc5c.jpg

Here’s some updates shots about 2 hrs later
4c92cef1f7386afea62d9cab393d9fad.jpg
657dc3dce0aa874522abe4c1106db8d1.jpg

Looks like it’s swelled up on the side

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
iodine or peroxide dips are effective. Is it in the path of water flow> Too much can cause tissue separation

Marcelo-lima

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I am having a similar problem with my Elegance and I was wondering how yours did after all the treatment.

Thank you for sharing all the info! It is very helpful!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back