Help/advice with new tank setup and cycling

  • Thread starter Thread starter Poisns1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2020
Messages
95
Reaction score
8
Location
Ellenton Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Waterbox 155.5 infinia frag on order (100 gallon display and 50 gallon sump). Bubble Magus curve 5 skimmer and Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 return pump.

Planning on adding approximately 100 pounds Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink sand and 80 lbs dry Marco Rock.

steps:
1) add live sand and aquascaping/rocks
2) make RO/DI water and mix salt 32 gallons (Rubbermaid brute) at a time and add to tank until full; then start return pump, heater skimmer etc.
3) purchase and add either 4oz Turbostart 900 or 8oz Dr Tim's One and Only (whichever pet store has in stock and not past expiration date)
4) add 5 green chromis after addition of bottled bacteria

question #1 Should I remove the felt filter socks before adding the bottled bacteria and if so how long? (BRS video states to do this prior to and when adding Dr Tim's one and only for cycling)
question #2 Directions also say to turn of UV/Skimmer for at least 48 hours and somewhere up to the first 5 days. Any issues with this or adjustments to the skimmer running or being off?
question #3 I bought a box of new Sera Siporax and was planning on placing directly in sump under the filter socks (already comes in nylon pouch from the factory) as an aid and additional surface area for the bottled bacteria. Good idea, Bad idea or scrap the idea/

Any other ideas or things I might be missing?
 
Welcome. Nice tank congrats. If in your budget purchase ocean live rock.
Thanks. Live rock is just too expensive and I don't want to introduce all the pests associated with it.

Any advice as to the rest of my setup intentions?
 
New Waterbox 155.5 infinia frag on order (100 gallon display and 50 gallon sump). Bubble Magus curve 5 skimmer and Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 return pump.

Planning on adding approximately 100 pounds Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink sand and 80 lbs dry Marco Rock.

steps:
1) add live sand and aquascaping/rocks
2) make RO/DI water and mix salt 32 gallons (Rubbermaid brute) at a time and add to tank until full; then start return pump, heater skimmer etc.
3) purchase and add either 4oz Turbostart 900 or 8oz Dr Tim's One and Only (whichever pet store has in stock and not past expiration date)
4) add 5 green chromis after addition of bottled bacteria

question #1 Should I remove the felt filter socks before adding the bottled bacteria and if so how long? (BRS video states to do this prior to and when adding Dr Tim's one and only for cycling)
question #2 Directions also say to turn of UV/Skimmer for at least 48 hours and somewhere up to the first 5 days. Any issues with this or adjustments to the skimmer running or being off?
question #3 I bought a box of new Sera Siporax and was planning on placing directly in sump under the filter socks (already comes in nylon pouch from the factory) as an aid and additional surface area for the bottled bacteria. Good idea, Bad idea or scrap the idea/

Any other ideas or things I might be missing?
I don't remember removing my filter sock when I first cycled my tank, I could be wrong, though
 
UPDATE: I added the Arag-Alive Fiji Pink sand, rock and water this past Sunday (6/9). I am picking up the Fritz Turbostart 900 today and will add this afternoon. Plan is to add about 5 chromis 24 hours later (tomorrow afternoon 6/12). I have 2 felt filter socks running as well as the skimmer but not collecting skimmate; just running to keep the tank oxygenated.

QUESTION: Is it normal for my tank to be cloudy after running for 2 days (pic of tank from the side below)? I would have thought that it would have cleared by now and worried about adding the bacteria?

Help/advice appreciated..

Tank still cloudy after 2 days.jpg
 
It can be up to a week to clear depending on filtration. Did you rinse sand? I know it says not to and I have not but it would help with the cloudiness. Once its clear I would remove filter socks, shut off skimmer and add bacteria and ammonia source (in your case fish). I pretty much use very little mechanical filtration just a couple days a week after my coral snow treatment. But while cycling the tank you should remove mechanical filtration including skimmer. In your case though I might put the skimmer back on line after 3-4 days but that me( because of the live fish in tank)
 
It can be up to a week to clear depending on filtration. Did you rinse sand? I know it says not to and I have not but it would help with the cloudiness. Once its clear I would remove filter socks, shut off skimmer and add bacteria and ammonia source (in your case fish). I pretty much use very little mechanical filtration just a couple days a week after my coral snow treatment. But while cycling the tank you should remove mechanical filtration including skimmer. In your case though I might put the skimmer back on line after 3-4 days but that me( because of the live fish in tank)

Great! I did not rinse the sand. Thanks for the advice, will follow and report back..
 
It can be up to a week to clear depending on filtration. Did you rinse sand? I know it says not to and I have not but it would help with the cloudiness. Once its clear I would remove filter socks, shut off skimmer and add bacteria and ammonia source (in your case fish). I pretty much use very little mechanical filtration just a couple days a week after my coral snow treatment. But while cycling the tank you should remove mechanical filtration including skimmer. In your case though I might put the skimmer back on line after 3-4 days but that me( because of the live fish in tank)

How long should I leave the filter socks out as that is my only means of mechanical filtration?
 
How long should I leave the filter socks out as that is my only means of mechanical filtration?
Like I said I only use mech filtration for like 2 days a week. I would leave them out at least until the initial cycle is complete. Then its up to you. My drain goes directly into a refugium so any food poop goes to the pods, worms, snails and macro that live there. Then it overflows on to an egg crate platform where I put the filter material when I use it. Using socks or filter material the wrong way can and usually is more detrimental than not using it. Leaving stuff in the tank to just rot without benefit of the particulate matter being available to corals and other filter feeders. Its great if you change it regularly every 2-3 days. Filter material also cuts down on the efficiency of your protein skimmer. A long time ago A mentor to me ran an sps only tank it was completely packed with coral and fish no filter socks or material just a skimmer. It was a gorgeous tank vibrant and healthy.
 
Like I said I only use mech filtration for like 2 days a week. I would leave them out at least until the initial cycle is complete. Then its up to you. My drain goes directly into a refugium so any food poop goes to the pods, worms, snails and macro that live there. Then it overflows on to an egg crate platform where I put the filter material when I use it. Using socks or filter material the wrong way can and usually is more detrimental than not using it. Leaving stuff in the tank to just rot without benefit of the particulate matter being available to corals and other filter feeders. Its great if you change it regularly every 2-3 days. Filter material also cuts down on the efficiency of your protein skimmer. A long time ago A mentor to me ran an sps only tank it was completely packed with coral and fish no filter socks or material just a skimmer. It was a gorgeous tank vibrant and healthy.

Would it be beneficial to add a bit of Fritz Zyme #9 to the tank during the cycling to assist with the overall bacteria count or should I just leave it at the initial Turbo Fritz 900 does on the first day?
 
Last edited:
UPDATE: I added the Arag-Alive Fiji Pink sand, rock and water this past Sunday (6/9). I am picking up the Fritz Turbostart 900 today and will add this afternoon. Plan is to add about 5 chromis 24 hours later (tomorrow afternoon 6/12). I have 2 felt filter socks running as well as the skimmer but not collecting skimmate; just running to keep the tank oxygenated.

QUESTION: Is it normal for my tank to be cloudy after running for 2 days (pic of tank from the side below)? I would have thought that it would have cleared by now and worried about adding the bacteria?

Help/advice appreciated..

Tank still cloudy after 2 days.jpg
My tank was cloudy for a few days when I started my cycle!
 
Would it be beneficial to add a bit of Fritz Zyme #9 to the tank during the cycling to assist with the overall bacteria count or should I just leave it at the initial Turbo Fritz 900 does on the first day?
You should be fine, but no it would not hurt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new