Help! Amphipods destroying my rock flowers!

mbixler1537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 10 gallon and I have added a number of rock flowers to the tank. I saw that I had a number of amphipods in the tank but thought they were good for the system. However, I have recently seen my rock flowers close up and amphipods travelling in and out of the mouth. They have already killed one and destroyed another that survived. Now, they are going after another one. I'm assuming I need a predator but not sure what to get. Any suggestions would help. My LFS suggested a coral banded shrimp so I bought one. He's pretty lazy and seems to be eating sparingly.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of pods eating rock flowers.

Also, never heard of coral banded shrimp eating pods.(regularly)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CBS won't eat pods. You need a fish. Any fish that has a large enough mouth to engulf pods will definitely eat them, but the king of pod eating is probably a circus goby. Small goby, large mouth, nocturnally active (so, out when they are), and pretty cool-looking. I have a trimma goby to keep the amphipods down in my tank.

I would return that shrimp. It'll pose a threat to any fish that are suitable for a 10-gallon, won't eat many pods, and will get large enough to look pretty out of place in a 10gal.

I had amphipods harass a RFA to death and chew some tentacles off a couple of others. The one they killed, they would crawl all over it until it closed up, crawl in and out of its closed-up shape, and generally use it as a place to hide. They'll go after stressed corals and coral-like organisms, so check that your parameters are all good.

Is it a new tank? A new tank can be stressful for anemones, even if parameters read OK. Make sure you have enough nutrients to keep the anemones fed, and are feeding the anemones meaty foods at least once every couple weeks. Preferably more. Also, how much algae and whatnot do you have, and how much are you feeding? Starving pods will go after anything that won't run away.

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 13.5gal tank has plenty of amphipods with rock flower anemones. Never seen amphipods bother RFA, but the opposite is true, if any amphipods swim around and touch the RFA, then that amphipod become meals for RFA. When I seed my tank 6 or so months ago with 1,000s amphipods, lots of them become food when they swim to the RFA. Maybe the RFA is dying and amphipods just do their things, clean up the death.

Corwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 10 gallon and I have added a number of rock flowers to the tank. I saw that I had a number of amphipods in the tank but thought they were good for the system. However, I have recently seen my rock flowers close up and amphipods travelling in and out of the mouth. They have already killed one and destroyed another that survived. Now, they are going after another one. I'm assuming I need a predator but not sure what to get. Any suggestions would help. My LFS suggested a coral banded shrimp so I bought one. He's pretty lazy and seems to be eating sparingly.
amphapods DO NOT EAT living things!! they eat algae and decaying things. Something else is killing your rock flower and the pods are jsut doing what evolution made them be cleaning up the dead

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amphipods will eat dying and very stressed things. Some very large ones are known to eat healthy zoas. They can also crawl on something until it accidentally becomes stressed, then eat it. It's worth looking into what's stressing the rock flowers, because they are very likely stressed, but amphipods do eat things that aren't dead yet. So do many other scavengers.

I've never seen a rock flower kill an amphipod. Mine crawl on the rock flowers without being affected.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back