Help before I treat for ich

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
<font color="black">I have ICH!! Before I move all my fish to a hospital tank I was wondering if a 35hex (with sand and LR) is big enough to hold a small yellow tang, clown, flame angel and engineer goby. All these fish are pretty small. Just curios because this is all I have for a hospital tank?

<font color="black">

I also have a 20gal with no sand or LR if that is a better option.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you can use that. They wont be in it long term so its not a problem but if your using it as a qt and plan on using meds, that rock and sand are gonna absorb that. Theres no need cor it in a qt, just some large pvc for hiding places.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the 20g would be fine and even better IMO. You will need to have a supply of fresh SW for frequent water changes especially the first few weeks until there is a build up of bacteria. A HOB filter with sponge and carbon and ideally an ammonia remover is very helpful to start with as well. On the pvc parts fittings are best as no sharp edges but need to be size appropriate for fish, I like using an assortment of T's or 45* elbows. I also place weighted FW aquarium plants in my QT (no lead) I just use silicone to attach marbles to base.
Are you planning a Cupramine treatment since Ich is already in force ???

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, the 20g would be fine and even better IMO. You will need to have a supply of fresh SW for frequent water changes especially the first few weeks until there is a build up of bacteria. A HOB filter with sponge and carbon and ideally an ammonia remover is very helpful to start with as well. On the pvc parts fittings are best as no sharp edges but need to be size appropriate for fish, I like using an assortment of T's or 45* elbows. I also place weighted FW aquarium plants in my QT (no lead) I just use silicone to attach marbles to base.
Are you planning a Cupramine treatment since Ich is already in force ???

Cheers, Todd

That's what I was planning to treat with. That seems to be what most people use with great success.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just bought everything for the hospital tank and I was wondering if I need to cycle the water before I put the fish in? If I do wont it be possible for all the fish to die within that time?

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought everything for the hospital tank and I was wondering if I need to cycle the water before I put the fish in? If I do wont it be possible for all the fish to die within that time?

You'll just need to do frequent water changes to stay ahead of the nitrogen cycle.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TJ's Reef you mentioned to use carbon in my hospital tank but the Cupramine says to use carbon to remove the product. Did I mis understand you or am I missing something?

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, as of now my tang is the only one that has ich visible so should I just treat the tang or all of them? My clown brought it in but hasn't shown signs since the white spots fell and my flame angel and engineer goby have shown signs at all. I know that ich is still in the tank and that it won't be gone for quite a few weeks, the reason I asked is because I want to stress the fish as little as possible.

787will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TJ's Reef you mentioned to use carbon in my hospital tank but the Cupramine says to use carbon to remove the product. Did I mis understand you or am I missing something?

Don't run carbon as this will absorb the copper, but once your done with the treatment or you need to remove the copper at any point (fish have adverse affects) thrown the carbon in along with a polyfilter.

787will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, as of now my tang is the only one that has ich visible so should I just treat the tang or all of them? My clown brought it in but hasn't shown signs since the white spots fell and my flame angel and engineer goby have shown signs at all. I know that ich is still in the tank and that it won't be gone for quite a few weeks, the reason I asked is because I want to stress the fish as little as possible.

You have to treat all fish even if they show no signs and allow your main system to run fallow (no fish) for at least 6-8 weeks to rid your system of icy.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the help whorsefield. Sorry if my questions seem ignorant. I'm still within my fist year of saltwater so a lot of this info is still new to me.

787will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey no problem, I've had to treat myself so learnt from it, just passing on what I've learnt!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back